Judas Priest tonight at Jones Beach, NY

Jun 25, 2004
just saw them tonight.. was awesome.. first time i saw them.. wasn't crazy they played the whole British Steel album but was still awesome... hated that the venue doesn't sell beer and that u can't smoke ciggys but was ok.. i drank before i went in and when i got out... the band played great..

Rob Halford = Wyv with a beard...

Wyv = Metal God :kickass:

I attended the gig, as well.
Priest was much better this time than last summer. Halford nailed nearly all fo the high notes that have been elusive to him in recent years. The set list was AWESOME: as stated they played "British Steel" in its entirety. They then moved on with classics such as "The Ripper", "Hell Patrol", "Freewheel Burning", and the "I Am Nostradamus" song (I forget the title).

They did a rendition of "Diamonds & Rust" that was similar to the "Unleashed" version (as opposed to the acoustic version of recent years). Finally, they delivered a smoking "Victim of Changes". Again, Rob nailed his parts...even the high screams at the songs's end!

Highlights:
The Rage
Rapid Fire
Diamonds
Ripper
Victim of Changes

Along with Sabbath & Maiden, it's great to see Priest still touring and kicking ass at this stage of their career. These venerable bands continue slaying everyone in site!

Great! We go on Aug. 2nd and Aug 5th. Can't wait!! How does Whitesnake sound?

I've never heard of a venue (as large to hold Priest etc. shows) that doesn't sell beer...isn't that how most venues make their money, beer food and lots more beer?

It's curious that all of you mention he's doing fine. I listened to the version of 'Painkiller' recorded for the new live album and I found it pretty weak.

So he's doing better with other songs onstage?

I've never heard of a venue (as large to hold Priest etc. shows) that doesn't sell beer...isn't that how most venues make their money, beer food and lots more beer?
I didn't go inside to watch WS.. only JP but from what I heard from the outside WS sounded good... I saw WS years ago and their show bored me back then as well as everyone sitting around in my section.. i even have the pics to prove it lol everyone just sitting and some even sleeping...

But anyways JP kicked ass... as for beer? I haven't been to the Jones Beach theater in years (last time was with Poison and Tesla) so I don't remember if they had beer back then... but i did find it odd they do not sell beer. Only soda and water. So i drank beer outside but not enough so i was sober throughout the show... :cry: oh and also no portables in the parking lot to go take a pizz at...

It's curious that all of you mention he's doing fine. I listened to the version of 'Painkiller' recorded for the new live album and I found it pretty weak.

I agree with SM... Rob hit all the notes perfectly.. so I guess it depends which songs he does but those songs were not easy imo...

Snake's sound was a bit rough...too much low end and some distortion. The music was spot-on but David's vocals were really rough....more screeching than singing. still, it was enjoyable.

They played most of the 1987 album, Fool for Your Loving", "Love Aint no Stranger", "Slow & Easy", and one song from "Bad to be Good".

Not sure why Jones Beach no longer serves alcohol....it's a state park and not a privately owned venue which may be the reasoning behind that.

Here's a review from the previous night's gig in NJ:

JUDAS PRIEST / WHITESNAKE – Demon Doubleheader
Posted on Sunday, July 12, 2009 at 16:57:52 EST

Special report by Mark Gromen

Not often the concert promoting gods give the fans two heavyweights on the same bill, but such is the case for the current incarnation of JUDAS PRIEST (even better, performing their classic British Steel album in its entirety) and rejuvenated WHITESNAKE touring the outdoor amphitheaters of North America. With its proximity to NYC, Holmdel, NJ brought out many a known musician within the crowd. Those spotted included Halford/Painmuseum guitarist “Metal Mike” Chlasciak, Jack Frost (Seven Witches) and the Symphony X team of Mike LePond and Russell Allen.

While the warm overcast day threatened rain, it held off until an appropriately timed portion of the Priest’s set. Whitesnake took the stage with little pre-fanfare, strolling onstage, David Coverdale smiling like the Cheshire cat, waved to the crowd as they launched into ‘Bad Boys’. The well-tanned (for an Englishman!) singer wore a frilly white “pirate shirt” emblazoned with various logos, open to the navel. It took but one song for him to utter his famous, “Here’s a song for ya…” prefacing ‘Fool For Your Loving’. The song selection was safe, sticking to the big Americanized songs, even though most in the old-timers crowd undoubtedly own a vast cross-section of the back catalog, if not its entirety. Shame about the lack of ‘Burn’, ‘Love Hunter’ or ‘Lay Down’ (OK, that’s a bit of a stretch for the US, even if its on the bonus live disc with Good To Be Bad) that are performed overseas. Was but the first to highlight guitarist Doug Aldrich. ‘Love Ain’t No Stranger’ segued into ‘Slow & Easy’ (adjectives for the evening?). ‘Lay Down Your Love’ turned into a guitar battle between Aldrich and six-string partner Reb Beach, alternating spot-lit solos in a variation on the dueling banjos theme. Truthfully, it went a little long and another song (maybe one of the aforementioned odd-ball omissions?) would have been preferable, but that’s just me. ‘Crying In The Rain’ saw a drum solo within its midst and when completed, the English gent introduced his band. As the stage lights shone a blue hue, keyboards started the ballad ‘Is This Love’. Coverdale was aided by an enthusiastic crowd from the opening notes of ‘Give Me All Your Love’, the frontman turned cheerleader, walking side-to-side imploring the audience to sing, clap, etc. The concluding ‘Still Of The Night’ shows off Coverdale’s range, from the pensive middle part, to his vocal barrage when it picks up tempo. Applause from the musicos onstage, a big group bow and they were off. No encore.

During the intermission, a curtain was erected, hiding the stage. It was a depiction of a factory, heavy industrial site, with a sign outside the gate reading, “This is the home of British Steel.” When Judas Priest took the stage, the curtain fell from the rafters, revealing the band, replicating the 1980 look as close as possible. Still bearded, Rob Halford wore a full-body denim get-up (chaps included) and drummer Scott Travis grew a mustache, apparently to appear as close to Dave Holland as visually possible. The band stayed “in character” throughout the entire British Steel running order (delivered chronologically according to the UK release, the American version flip-flopped the opening ‘Rapid Fire’, ‘Breaking The Law’ and ‘Metal Gods’). Sadly, the band just tore through this material, never really interacting with the crowd (“This next song contains the word ‘the law’ in the title,” being about the only moment Halford spoke during the opening 40 minutes), the seemingly immobile singer never removed his mirrored sunglasses and simply stared at his feet. That said, they sounded terrific and it was great to hear some of the rarities (‘Rapid Fire’, ‘The Rage’, ‘Steeler’), as well as get staples like the aforementioned ‘Law’ and ‘Living After Midnight’ (got a surprised uproar of recognition from the crowd, despite the sequential set list) out of the encore slot. Tonight was really KK Downing’s moment in the spotlight, by far the most active of the four onstage, the song selection also seemed to emphasize his playing over partner Glenn Tipton. He was really the only one to approach the front of the stage during the first half of the show.

The stage was bathed in purple during ‘The Rage’, those unfamiliar with it headed for the restrooms or a re-fill, as Halford rocked back and forth in place, like a speed skater going nowhere. ‘Steeler’ ended with the guitarists at opposite ends of the black stage, green lasers flickering atop the heads of the crowd. British Steel material completed, Halford returned to the stage, minus shades and began to talk. At the front of the stage, bookended by the guitars, the trio kicked into ‘The Ripper’. Ignoring most of the highs, Halford was much more active and he didn’t bail on the final penultimate note/scream. During the thunderous ovation that rewarded its completion, the stage went black, only to be illuminated by the eyes of Nostradamus, heralding the arrival of ‘Prophecy’, complete with laser enhancement. Halford twitched to the same fringed coat he wore on the last tour, then removed for the ‘Hell Patrol’ follow-up.

Smoke fills the stage and Tipton mockingly chides the crowd for more applause, as he sidles up to Downing as the tandem begin the patented twin leads to ‘Victim Of Changes’. A sustained echoing effect is employed, rather than the vocal highs and during the sedate “She was wonderful…” passage, lasers tease the stage. The band leave the stage and silence of the blank stage is cracked twice, first by a flash of lightning courtesy of mother nature (as a rain begins to fall) and secondly by the roar of motorcycle engine. No, it’s not ‘Hellbent For Leather’, nor ‘Painkiller’ (two noticeable absentees this evening), but ‘Freewheel Burning’ the initial foray of the encore. It’s followed by ‘Diamonds And Rust’, then ‘You’ve Got Another Thing Comin’. While few can fault the decisions within the set, especially having the opportunity to see a 30 year old classic played end-to-end, the brevity (75 minutes of music) leaves a little bit to be desired, especially with such an expansive history and the favorites (‘Screaming For Vengeance’, ‘Beyond The Realms Of Death’ or ‘Sinner’ ). Guess that’s why there’s the Touch Of Evil CD, in stores Tuesday!

Long live Judas Priest and Whitesnake!

i was vacationing in virginia and we hit 4 hours of traffic otherwise i would have gotten a scalped ticket, really pissed right now

The venue is at Jones Beach on Long Island. I believe they do not sell beer because it is a state park. I've found it difficult to even tailgate there. Security busts your balls if they see bottles or cans. I was only there twice in 2000, and I'm not rushing back any time soon. All the sound goes right out to the Atlantic Ocean. Awful venue IMO.

Got tix to see WS & JP later this summer. First time seeing either band, so I'm looking forward to it.

Hmm. They're playing tomorrow here. My boss is in town and a huge fan of them as well. He's never seen them live. Biggest bummer is that it's outside. I loathe outside ampitheaters. Might have to suck it up on this one based on these reviews and the reviews I heard on Eddie Trunk's show this afternoon.

Best thing Judas can do. Put to rest "painkiller". Not only Halford didn´t hit the higher notes but they felt bad for the rest of the show.

Judas have to adress their set list to current Halford voice avoiding some hits like "Painkiller".

I attended the gig, as well.
Priest was much better this time than last summer. Halford nailed nearly all fo the high notes that have been elusive to him in recent years. The set list was AWESOME: as stated they played "British Steel" in its entirety. They then moved on with classics such as "The Ripper", "Hell Patrol", "Freewheel Burning", and the "I Am Nostradamus" song (I forget the title).

They did a rendition of "Diamonds & Rust" that was similar to the "Unleashed" version (as opposed to the acoustic version of recent years). Finally, they delivered a smoking "Victim of Changes". Again, Rob nailed his parts...even the high screams at the songs's end!

Highlights:
The Rage
Rapid Fire
Diamonds
Ripper
Victim of Changes

Along with Sabbath & Maiden, it's great to see Priest still touring and kicking ass at this stage of their career. These venerable bands continue slaying everyone in site!

I was REALLY disappointed by Halford when I saw Priest in 2005 and 2008. He sang pretty good, save for the higher parts, but he was VERY static on stage, not moving at all, and always reading his teleprompter. He was really looking like a grandpa on stage. Was it the same this time? Maybe not, as he must surely remeber the lyrics of the Bristish Steel stuff...

Just got back from the show. Ended up getting third row tickets last minute. Whitesnake sounded better than I thought they would. David's vocals started off pretty strong then fell to more of a screech in the second half. The guitar and drum solos were unnecessary and uninspired.

Priest absolutely slayed. Rob took his stationary position for the first song or two only and was quite animated throughout the rest of the show. His vocals were spot on proving once again that Priest are still relevant and can hold their own. The setlist was great and the band tight and loud.

GO
SEE
THIS
SHOW!

I've heard some youtube stuff, and Rob definitely sounds better than last year. I'm really regretting (in ways) not seeing them this year. I did last year, but balked when I saw they were playing in Mountain View, CA, at my least favorite venue in the whole Bay Area - Shoreline. Eesh. It's just a lame joke of a place. Hard to get in, hard to get out...lame all around. Still, for all that, I would like to have seen British Steel from front to back. I wouldn't have minded seeing Whitesnake either, but probably would have just been disappointed they didn't play early Whitesnake stuff (ala Slide It In and previous albums) or at least Stormbringer!

They were celebrating the 25th anniversary of Slide It In so they did a couple of tracks from it. Even earlier would have been great too but then again, they only had an hour so they concentrated on the S/T and did one track from their most recent.

I just picked up the new live release. Gosh, Halford's performance on the "Painkiller" track is simply unlistenable. It's horrid; I'm shocked they released this.

(The rest of the disc sounds great, however.)

To be truthful I hadn't check the rest of the album, I went straight to 'Painkiller' to make the acid test. And I agree with you, why they put it on the album?, I bet they have better material to pick from.

Just got back from the show. Ended up getting third row tickets last minute. Whitesnake sounded better than I thought they would. David's vocals started off pretty strong then fell to more of a screech in the second half. The guitar and drum solos were unnecessary and uninspired.[/qb]
Yup, pretty much sounds like the WS I saw back in the day... and that was when Steve Vai was in the band lol

[qb]Priest absolutely slayed. Rob took his stationary position for the first song or two only and was quite animated throughout the rest of the show. His vocals were spot on proving once again that Priest are still relevant and can hold their own. The setlist was great and the band tight and loud.

GO
SEE
THIS
SHOW![/qb]
Exactly... :kickass: though i wish they had included Beyond the Realms of Death...