Jungle Rot - War Zone

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Jungle Rot - War Zone
Crash Music - CMU 61177 - June 27th, 2006
By Brandon Strader

JungleRot-WarZone.jpg

Possibly the most weirdly named death metal outfit so far, we proudly present... Jungle Rot! War Zone starts out pretty great, with an even stream of double-bass and some heavy riffing overtop, but the song very quickly declines into mediocrity with the breakdown-like chorus section. Some of the percussion in the song sounds like it belongs more in a polka song than a death metal song, like Swanö's percussion work on Bloodbath's Resurrection Through Carnage... That should give you a pretty direct idea of how the percussion sounds at times, though the drummer for Jungle Rot made it clear within the first section of the song that he is capable of handling double-bass.

It has been stated that Jungle Rot believe they have a sound more similar to Slayer and Sodom, but that's not really so true to my ears at least. I'm hearing more of a Kataklysm-type sound but without the butt-kicking blastbeats and drumrolls... Jungle Rot say they have never tried to be the most technical group in death metal, yet because of this they sound more like thrash than death.

The vocalist is pretty great, yet at times he also has somewhat of a Kataklysm sound to him, but maybe it's just the sound of the music paired with the vocals that create this idea in our brains. They're a little better than the typical death vocals like Cannibal Corpse, Nile, Cryptopsy, etc... as they've got a bit more ferocity to the sound, and the occasional bend into a scream. That's not to say the other group's vocalists aren't fantastic, I'm just stating for the sake of comparison, as I'm sure a lot of people have heard the vocalists for those groups.

Overall, I'd have to say the music is very decent, but really nothing too new or special... it's good for a little "high" once in a while when you are looking for something heavy to headbang to, and for that purpose, War Zone is worth checking out. However, if you headbang to the faster, more brutal stuff, you might want to stick with Nile or Cryptopsy or whatever.

6.5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Official Jungle Rot Website
Official Crash Music Website