Just a cool video (Wagner, piano, tristan chord)

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Just wanted to share this video, I thought it was quite inspirational, and got me super interested in Wagner out of a sudden while his music never talked to me before ! I got super chills in the middle with the "chord interrupting the climax of tristan and iseulde love" or whatever one would call it :)

Not to mention epic piano playing on of wagner's own pianos, and an epic fail for the very very last note by the presentator :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I prefer it played on the piano....I wonder if there are any full piano recitals of Wagner's operas around (I have no clue, maybe their famous haha)

Beware: Steven Fry can make you like anything.....

So who is this Fry ? If he does other interesting videos like that, I'm sold !

I'm not into Opera at all either, except for a few gems. I find that too many times music writing is poorer for operas. But that part got me !

So who is this Fry ? If he does other interesting videos like that, I'm sold !

I'm not into Opera at all either, except for a few gems. I find that too many times music writing is poorer for operas. But that part got me !

well firstly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Fry

He's a very clever, funny man with viewpoints many sympathise with (atheist, humanist, gay rights, importance of arts etc.) who's command of the English language is simply astonishing.

on a serious note:

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting thing about that chord is it is a F half-diminished seventh chord (spelled enharmonically), but then changes to a French augmented sixth chord when the G# (leading tone perhaps?) resolves up to A. That Fr+6 chord then resolves irregularly to the final chord in that first phrase (measure 3), which is an E dominant. Is it a half cadence in A? We don't know because he moves the same phrase up a whole step, creating a sequential pattern, which ends in a half cadence in C, and is reiterated again with a half cadence in E. All of those keys (A, C, and E) share a chromatic mediant relationship with one another as well. That is, their roots are a minor or major 3rd apart, are of the same quality, and share one common tone. Other cool things to note are the bass line in measures 2-3 echo the alto in the first full measure. The soprano line that starts at measure 2 is an exact mirror of the alto in measures 1-3 and the tenor line mirrors, in reverse, the first and last pitches of the soprano line. There's a lot going on in those first opening measures, haha. But basically what is happening is that the blurring of tonality through contrapuntal writing is giving rise to nontraditional chords structures that might otherwise occur as linear "accidents".

Edit: Bela Bartok's "Bluebeard Castle" is another opera worth checking out. Also, Shostokovich's "Lady Macbeth..." is really good. I wasn't too into them either until I asked myself, "Well, how many operas have I actually been to?".