Just A Quick Question For Chris...

progmetaldan

Nov 25, 2006
South Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey mate, I was just wondering what sort of nylon strings you use on your classical guitar, and also, Does having your guitar made of Brazilian Rosewood give a brighter sound or more mellow sound? My classical guitar is an Admira Spanish made guitar which has a solid Cedar Top and Rosewood back and sides, and it sounds absolutely beautiful for the more romantic style pieces, but it doesn't have a very bright high end... I know woods like Spruce and Sycamore give a brighter sound, just wondering about your opinion on the Brazilian Rosewood...

Thanks mate!

Hey mate, I was just wondering what sort of nylon strings you use on your classical guitar, and also, Does having your guitar made of Brazilian Rosewood give a brighter sound or more mellow sound? My classical guitar is an Admira Spanish made guitar which has a solid Cedar Top and Rosewood back and sides, and it sounds absolutely beautiful for the more romantic style pieces, but it doesn't have a very bright high end... I know woods like Spruce and Sycamore give a brighter sound, just wondering about your opinion on the Brazilian Rosewood...

Thanks mate!
Hey progmetalpilgrim,

I use D' addario pro arte j46's. These strings may not be the very best but they are the most consistent and you can find them anywhere at a decent price. As for my guitar its a European spruce top with Brazilian rosewood bck and sides. From what I know the rosewood sounds faily close but the difference in cedar and spruce is huge with spruce sounding much brighter.

Chris.

Thanks mate, I've been using the Augustine Blue nylon strings, perhaps I'll give those a try...

Yeah, the guitars I've played, the difference in Cedar and Spruce is considerable, do you ever feel like you need the warmer sound of Cedar, or is Spruce good for everything you play? I think I might get a Spruce top guitar as well eventually... :D

So Chris, I'm sorry if this has been asked/answered before - but do you keep your nails for your classical? Or do you use fake nails? I'd imagine it'd be pretty impossible to do your tapping with nails.

My nails seem to like catching on my electric guitar strings when I'm playing and putting big nice big marks in them.

So Chris, I'm sorry if this has been asked/answered before - but do you keep your nails for your classical? Or do you use fake nails? I'd imagine it'd be pretty impossible to do your tapping with nails.

My nails seem to like catching on my electric guitar strings when I'm playing and putting big nice big marks in them.

this has been a problem for some time. I would keep my nails long while practicing tapping(so my tapping sounds like ass) but as soon as I have to perform tapping songs I will file them down (so my classical playing sounds like ass at that time). I am now trying a solution (alaska piks) that have a great tone but feel a little odd when replacing the finger nail.

Chris.

Thanks mate.

My nails aren't the strongest unfortuently (I must need to drink more milk ;) heh). I play some taps or two here and there in my band, so I've been playing them with more different angled (my finger) then I use too, but like I said usually my index finger likes to get caught on my strings when I hold a pick playing the electric, kind of annoying seeing as though it sometimes takes away the nice warm tone I need when playing classical.

Thanks again.