Just an idea.....

Met-Al

Oct 12, 2004
Wouldn't this be cool?
For next year's show, how about a contest by which the winner can go onstage to perform with one of the bands? I'm sure there are aspiring vocalists or guitarists in particular whose dreams would come true if they could play a song with one of their favorite bands. I'm not just saying this because I'm an aspiring vocalist. How about it, Glenn?

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

How many people attending the festival would actually want to see a total amateur trying to wail away with the bands, instead of seeing the bands do what they do best? Not I.

I don't know, but Marillion has done what they call "Swap the Band" at both conventions and are doing it at '05's as well, and it's been a huge hit. They get auditions for months beforehand and pick out a certain number, then each winner gets to go onstage and play along with the rest of the guys during a special session. Everyone I've seen so far has been quite good. Without it, I don't know that they would have ever played some songs (i.e. "Kayleigh").

However, that's a whole weekend of nothing but Marillion--I don't know that it would work for ProgPower because of the limited time each band gets, and I don't know how time-consuming it is to facilitate. I have no doubt that there'd be some quality performances, though.

I think something like that would be extremely fun for the Pre-Party, especially if we have bands that have arrived on that day act as "judges".

Or it would be good to do early before the shows start possibly.

Anybody want to volunteer to bring a gong? Ah some of you are prolly way too young to remember that show...

I still say Karaoke Man from PP4 should have been up on stage while Brainstorm played "Highs Without Lows" at PP5. We still talk about the entertainment that guy provided while waiting for Vanden Plas at PP 4...:)

dt

I thought that was what Midnight was doing with Kamelot this year. Didn't seem to work out too well. Maybe the Pre-party ......

Thanks for bringing up the Marillion show, Lady_Space!
That's how I got the idea! As for you, Chibitotoro, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would like to see what kind of chops some of us fans have. A good deal of progressive/power metal fans are musicians themselves. I'm not saying they should play the entire set. I just think it would be awesome to have somebody come up on stage and perform a song. Doing it at the kick-off party could be pretty cool, too, BABS. If somebody would be willing to throw a metal karaoke kick-off party, I might just give this whole idea up for that. If nothing else, it would be hilarious.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Marillion is a very innovative band... god, I love those guys! :)

Anyway, as for metal karaoke... well, call me cheesy, but I'd be up for it. I think it'd be a boatload of fun *and* hysterical. And I'd have to pick out the guy (or gal) who looked like (s)he though (s)he was just the coolest, you know, way too cool for that, get 'em trashed and drag 'em onstage for a rendition of "Run to the Hills"...

oops, now you guys know how sad I can be sometimes. ;)

omdsl said:
I thought that was what Midnight was doing with Kamelot this year. Didn't seem to work out too well. Maybe the Pre-party ......

From what Midnight said on the forums after PP, it was kind of a last minute thing.

Shaye- If you lived out here we could search for waterproof mascara during the day, then head to Metal Karaoke (or how ever you spell it) on Tuesdays, and Fridays we could head to a secret place for musicians to hang out and jam!

-Metal

Ah, Wisconsin my favorite state for the past couple of years. Tons of metal shows, cheese, brats (not brats) and long-haired men!

What more could a girl want?