Just bought my first motorcycle

JohnGalloway

Mar 29, 2012
Hudson, FL
6o0O4ox.png

Just bought myself a 2009 UM V2S 250R
I decided to get a 250 for my first, given my inexperience with riding, and I'm super happy with this purchase. A friend of mine who has owned a few supersport bikes in the past said it looks and feels like a 600 and is pretty peppy, so maybe I lucked out!

Anybody else on here ride? What kind of bike do you have, and what sort of tips might you have for a beginner?

Cheers :Spin:

i grew up riding dirt bikes until my late teens. i never got super into it like my brother and dad. my brother continues to ride almost every weekend doing hare scrambles and enduros.

i'm not into crotch rockets at all but wouldn't mind having a cruiser around when i'm going to work and such.

just be careful, you're gonna be pretty much invisible to car drivers.

The streets are pretty busy where I live, though I tend to use the underpopulated backstreets to get around.
I also ride at night a lot, which is awesome since the streets are basically empty :D

My grandfather used to race bikes professionally. They used to do (don't know if they still do?) some races with two people on one bike. Anyways, they wiped the fuck out one day and my grandfather permanently lost his hearing. His friend died.

A good friend of mine also died because of a bike accident, but not till he spent a couple months with a huge swollen head in misery at the hospital. He didn't even look like himself, it was horrible.

I could go on about other people I've known and their missing limbs but my point here is: Be very fucking careful because it's easy to get yourself fucked up on those things.

Good luck.

Yes - be careful. Pretty much any of my friends who have a crotch rocket or cruiser have crashed at least once since they've owned their bikes. Most of them have been extremely lucky as to not get seriously injured.

I grew up riding dirt bikes and used to get hurt enough on those. Only rode on a street bike (think it was a Honda 900) and was on the back of the thing and at first it scared the shit out of me but then getting used to leaning into turns it was more fun. Still, you crash at 60, 80, 100 mph even with a helmet and proper leathers, you're still gonna get fucked up somewhat.

My grandfather used to race bikes professionally. They used to do (don't know if they still do?) some races with two people on one bike. Anyways, they wiped the fuck out one day and my grandfather permanently lost his hearing. His friend died.

A good friend of mine also died because of a bike accident, but not till he spent a couple months with a huge swollen head in misery at the hospital. He didn't even look like himself, it was horrible.

I could go on about other people I've known and their missing limbs but my point here is: Be very fucking careful because it's easy to get yourself fucked up on those things.

Good luck.

Everyone I know who knows someone who got into an accident has been sure to tell me all about it to convince me not to get one.
Fortunately, I'm only into bikes because they're economical. Going fast isn't really in my nature, so I know it's really up to everyone else--whether I crash or not.
Been taking lots of precautionary measures to prevent accidents though, since I started. So as long as I don't slip up, I believe I'll be fine. Fingers crossed!

I ride/race an MC22 CBR250RR, have been doing for a while now. Motorcycles are quite popular in my family so it was a no-brainer to give it a shot, haven't ever had any doubts since I started.

Since you're a beginner, read this: http://motorcyclebeginnerguide.weebly.com/

Seriously. Read it. All of it.

One piece of advice I have for riding to highlight all this; complacency will get you killed. Do not ever get on your bike if you're not feeling 100% up to the task.