Just bought myself a Blackstar Artisan 4x12"

Trevoire520

Mar 24, 2007
Fife, Scotland
Was lucky enough to spy a ex-demo slant Blackstar cab on ebay this morning. Just some marks from having a head sitting on top of it where the rubber feet have been.

Only £445 delivered. Needless to say I'm chuffed :D

Should be here on tuesday. I'll provide some clips in a few weeks once I've finished recording my bands E.P.

Cheers to everyone on the forum for letting me pick their brains about what cab to get. I had settled on getting a striaght Blackstar but this deal was just too good to miss!

FUCK YEAHS dude, excellent choice! (and you'll be better off with the slant IMO, I couldn't live without it for live playing!) One thing I really recommend is trying to mic the two bottom speakers (one at a time) in as close to the same place on the cone as possible, then open it up, label each speaker with a marker or something, and swap the bottom two with the top two (they should just unscrew and the wires should easily unplug) - Lasse thinks the placement of the speakers (top or bottom row) in a slant cab don't affect the sound, but my experience is that the bottom ones sound noticeably more full; anyway, this will be a way for you to tell and decide on your favorite!

Yeah I'd read that Lasse reckons its all down to the speaker rather than the position. Though it does seem to go against alot of posts from people saying that the straight cabs seem thicker. Will be a good experiment I think. Am only going to be using it in the studio (Like hell I'm lugging about a 50Kg cab! lol)

I was thinking about using the 75T's from my Marshall 2x12 to make an X-Pattern with the best of the V30's but read a few posts saying it makes the cab sound a bit odd when mic'd, so will probably pass on that.

Just FYI Trevoire, almost every Celestion speaker is called "G12," (e.g. G12K100, G12H 30, etc.) so if you're gonna abbreviate G12T75, better to use T75 ;) And you could try sticking 'em in an X-pattern and see how you like it; not like it's too hard to switch back! Though I would recommend trying all 4 speakers in the bottom spot to pick your favorites (cuz as I mentioned, I really think the bottom row sounds fuller, and this will be a way to determine!)

Those cabs look nice, the only slight "hmm" about them was the fact they are 16ohm not 8 like the recto cabs since some people say a difference in ommage;) has tightness/tonality effects.

hmmm im thinking about swapping my v30 from the top of my 4x12 to the bottom of my 4x12 and vica versa. been micing up the bottom v30 for ages and i think i should do a direct tone comparison as the v30 is a tad scooped and toppy :-/ its just a pain in the ass opening the cab up!