Just for a change: The new guy wants opinions...

Feb 3, 2006
www.orchidfixation.co.uk
Hey everyone,

Like the title says, I found this forum about a week ago, and it's definately given me some ideas for next time I record, so thanks!

Seeing as I'm a sucker for punishment I thought I'd see what you all think of my (lack of) recording skills - it seems like the perfect way to introduce myself.

Asphyxia.mp3

This is the first track off my bands demo. It's probably a bit gentle for you but it's the most straight forward mix-wise, so I figure if this one sounds okay I can adapt it for the rest. Feel free to tear it to shreds because I don't really like it!

I'll put up all the details if you want, but I thought I'd leave them out for the moment because I want to know what you think of the recording and not my setup :loco:

Cheers in advance!

Steve

The vocals sound good, very nice separation. The distorted guitars seem to be laying over everything though when they are present. I like the drums a lot. This isn't all that bad of a mix. It could use some work, it's not a bad starting point. I like it :)

~006

whole mix seems a little lifeless to me, just bring the drums up in the mix a bit i feel, mainly the snare/kick, i love the guitar tone near the end

Thanks for the input - I've played around with the guitars and it does sound much better after taking them down a notch. Think I'm just paranoid about them disappearing into the mix because there's only 2 tracks of distorted guitar.

Cobhc - glad you like the guitar sound, I think my amp sounds way nicer than it has any right to :D

Steve

Suicide_As_Alibi said:
Thanks for the input - I've played around with the guitars and it does sound much better after taking them down a notch. Think I'm just paranoid about them disappearing into the mix because there's only 2 tracks of distorted guitar.

Cobhc - glad you like the guitar sound, I think my amp sounds way nicer than it has any right to :D

Steve

what amp would that be then dude?

It's a Laney TF700 - it's solid state clean with an ECC83 in the preamp for the crunch channels. I got it for like £120 off eBay a couple of years ago, just because it had 3 channels.

I've had quite a few people say they like the tone I get out of it - I used to play with a guy that used a Mesa Studio Preamp going into a Mesa 50/50, it pissed him off something chronic :D That recording is just the amp on it's own, through a Laney 4x12 (it's got cheap Celestions in it) and recorded with one mic.

Steve

Yeah no problem - the only thing I've got to hand is the guitar tracks from that song though because my cab is 200 miles away so I can't record anything at the moment :cry: .

This is the first (and most interesting) part.

The setup was as follows: My ESP Ltd F-50 (stock) straight into the Laney, with one mic (£9 unbranded from an electrical store :D ) on-axis and a bit too close (hence the fizz). It's recorded through my soundcard into Sonar. For the clip there's just an EQ with just a high and low pass, on the actual song the EQ's a bit more precise and there's a compressor on it too.

Since I recorded that demo I've replaced both the p'ups in my guitar and it's a lot sharper now. Anyways, enjoy!

Steve