Just formatted my iMac

I recently had my OS corrupt on me. Luckily it was under warranty, and I was able to reinstall everything. It runs like a damn dream.

i wonder if the current imac generation has an extra spot for SSDs then. at least Apple gives you the option to have both a regular HDD and an SSD prefitted, and there was no mention of losing the optical drive.

nice one, thanks guys. i'm planning to go for one of the new imacs once they come out this fall and i'd like to have an SSD for the operating system

Like I said, I didn't want to do a full system restore from TM since there was an unidentified problem that apparently didn't lurk in the hardware. Going the automatic "Restore system from a Time Machine backup" route might have brought the problem back.

Naturally, I did grab all my important personal files and such from the TM backup.

I didn't mean a full restore, you do a clean install then use migration assistant to import your user accounts, personal files and apps.

Ok so I'm seriously thinking of doing the time-machine migration thingy now. Anything I should keep in mind? I'm backing my main harddrive to my time machine drive... should I worry about emails and serials for apps etc?

My system is 8 years old now...
even when I got a new computer, I just used the migration assistant to port my old system onto the new machine...
Still running like crazy, no problems here

I have a late 09/early10 imac i7 , it didn't like reading and writing of the internal HD at all , tried everything but it would not run Logic sessions with a few sample instruments smoothly . Put the internal HD into a caddy and replaced with SSD for the OS . It is now Usain Bolt quick compared to before and it was not that expensive , well worth it . I wont run OS on anything but SSD's from now on .

I did the clean install then migration/transfer, did not improve anything :D

try Xbench to see what it says about your system performance and hard drive speed.

did you try completely formatting your HDD, as in not just a writeover but that it'd write zeroes on top of all the files? if not that could also be the root of your problem.

also, just to note anyone who's planning to switch an imac internal HDD to an SSD; there are problems with earlier machines than 2010, which would keep the fan running at full speed at all times because of some Apple's own non-standard system for controlling the HDD temperature which gets confused when there's not an original drive in use. however there's an app to bypass the problem.

I still don't get why you all are having issues...as I said, I'm using the migration assistant to just put my old system onto any new mac I ver bought....that old system is like 8 years ols...no problems here