Just found our album online for free download - FUUUUUU !!

go get'em :rolleyes:

dont-worry-sir-im-from-the-internet.jpg

Dude is just amazing that they even put some effort, when i search for my album, i even found blogs, that had desing with our album artwork, our pictures cropped by member, member info, a biography and lots of other stuff that i even didn´t put on my own website, i was like WTF!! they even take the time to make it look pretty.

dude has a dumb name, but im guessing he should MORE than be able to afford your CD judging by his address.

That's the thing dude. I fully endorse the idea that he saw us at a gig, bought the CD... then ripped it and put it online for free. Maybe I should put a turd through his letterbox.

tbh, i think in that part of london he will probably only be renting and that guys name could be the actual person who owns the property or something. the gaffs there are huge, so i think the chances of you actually getting his letterbox are slim.

would probably be best getting his site shut down and maybe tell his internet providers/landlord to rape him if possible

Just about anything I've ever worked on has popped up on blogs, obscure Russian forums or torrent sites. It's the way of it dude, you have to make peace with the fact that if even the RIAA can't police this shit, one individual will not be able to. For every twat called Sydney Pitterman you take down there will be a dozen Perth Tuckerwomen to keep sharing it.

Well I got him to remove it. If in the future it does pop up all over the place, then I'll not really be able to do anything. But this was just one guy, and it seemed worth the effort.

The first time it happened to me, I actually felt somewhat flattered that people put in effort to spread my work. What a bitter-sweet pseudo achievement. People didn't buy more or less CDs after it happened and we just wanted to get the music out to people. We still covered the production and manufacturing costs and sold all copies within half a year or so. Things change drastically when there are labels involved though and every lost sale becomes a bump on the road towards future contracts.

Losing sales is one thing, but being stripped of the control over your hard work is even more a slap in the face. If you're work gets spread for free, it should at least be your decision. So even if I wouldn't necessarily have reacted like Drew, I still fully endorse his right to keep control over his work.

Exactly. It's not about the sales. I don't necessarily think that every download is a lost sale. But it's just about him having the cheek of buying the album, and then giving it away regardless of our intentions. We own the stuff - no one else. There is no label, ... just use and some online distro stuff. There's no 'man' to get back at here.

I think the issue is that people don't actually see a problem with doing this at all. Just like they used to share tapes and vinyls in the old days, they now use the most convenient way to share music. Unfortunately once it's up there on the net for anyone to grab, it's a hard thing to contain. Those saying it's to 'stick it to the man', and to go against the evils of major labels are just bullshitting. They don't care about taking any ethical or moral stand-point. Even if major labels didn't exist, they would still fabricate some excuse to do it. Most can't even justify it. They just do it 'coz they can'.

I hope in your case, Drew, that nobody else does what this guy did for your record.

It's funny when I google some of my work and find more torrent/rapidshare/blog links about it than any actual discussion about it. Really illuminates the state of the industry :)

You ever get the sense that most people nowadays don't even value the music they listen to? ie: They just listen to it to fill the empty silence in their lives... they don't seem to treasure releases. I remember the first time I heard Lateralus by Tool.... fuck.... it's been nearly 10 years, and I still fucking love that album and listen to it all the time.

I don't get the sense that a lot of people feel this way nowadays. Maybe I'm wrong. I see it as symptomatic of the whole issue at hand.

They don't. Just listen to how newer music 'writers' are developing. I forget who touched on it in the 'Bring me the horizon' thread, but they made mention of everyone listening to music on iTunes, or their iPods on shuffle, as a huge singular collection. There is no cohesiveness, no body or direction to their sense of music understanding. It's all just a chaotic jumble of sounds, hence why all this bullshit, disconnected, crabcore has shot up. Get a demographic who have the attention span of gnats, give them social media and media playback devices that will make both the acquisition and playback of all kinds of music extremely convenient, and you will end up with a generation that have absolutely no idea of where the roots of music lie, nor what it means to craft something with direction and patience.

Music to the new generation is throwaway material, and in utmost irony it's even reflected in their own songwriting, whether they realize it or not.

They don't. Just listen to how newer music 'writers' are developing. I forget who touched on it in the 'Bring me the horizon' thread, but they made mention of everyone listening to music on iTunes, or their iPods on shuffle, as a huge singular collection. There is no cohesiveness, no body or direction to their sense of music understanding. It's all just a chaotic jumble of sounds, hence why all this bullshit, disconnected, crabcore has shot up. Get a demographic who have the attention span of gnats, give them social media and media playback devices that will make both the acquisition and playback of all kinds of music extremely convenient, and you will end up with a generation that have absolutely no idea of where the roots of music lie, nor what it means to craft something with direction and patience.

Music to the new generation is throwaway material, and in utmost irony it's even reflected in their own songwriting, whether they realize it or not.

too big to quote so I'll just say "brilliant post" to this and to Drew's last one :headbang:

that shit is truth

I am a sad panda now. :bah:

Wow.
This gets me thinking a lot.
Thanks, you rock

The truth in this makes me a double sad panda.:erk:

The Lars comment and the "I'm from the internet" guy were lol.

But seriously, everything Ermz said is true. But the truth is it's nothing new. Shit was the same with throwaway "glam" bands and thrash bands, etc. Metallica became METALLICA from underground tape traders and zines. They were just badass (whether you agree in your own opinion) and people latched onto it. There were hundreds of metallica sounding, carbon copy bands whose tapes were traded and etc. and got "thrown away".

Imagine if you were Lars, and how much money and time was spent on his lawsuit. It was obviously something he believed in stronger than most people. But, you can STILL download Metallica's music on the net. Talk about butt-hurt.

Either way, I personally just embrace it. Honestly we all work hard on our bands, and I've got a free link below this post with our album for free download. I kinda find the Russian blog sites funny, and our shit is on a ton. Sure, that's my/our choice, and not necessarily yours Drew, so no offense meant. Just sharing my perspective.

While these observations are most likely valid at the core and some of these theses might even withstand empiric testing, I'll also warn to drag this into a polemic high- vs. low-culture debate.

As audio enthusiasts, we tend to feel strongly about these issues and consequently voice our criticism not always quite accordingly to inter-subjective principles (to avoid the objectiveness-pitfall).

Like you correctly stated, Ermz, the socialization of listening behaviour (like so many socio-cultural traits) is heavily dependent on (or maybe even interdependent with) the evolution of technology and is always a mirror to prominent aspects that penetrate and characterise a certain generation or time-frame as a whole. We just have to be careful with qualitative judgements.

Past generations have voiced strikingly similar criticism towards aspects of music that we cherish and that was not more or less valid than the things we complain about.

Production and reception of art evolves but never ever deteriorates with general validity. As long as we're talking about art, we'll always deal with opinions rather than facts.

On a very personal level, I wholeheartedly agree with your passionate sentiments there.