just got back from chicago (i have pictures)

Draft Dodging Scarecrow

Year of Mao Zedong
Sep 25, 2003
in the minds of children everywhere
We went there with our local youth group to do some clean up work in the projects. It was a 16 hour drive either way and we had 37 teen with 8 adults in four 15-passenger vans. Most of the time I just slept, played Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced, or read, but it was still a long drive.

Chicago is such an amazing city. It was probably 50 degrees (as opposed to 98 in texas) the entire time so the weather was my favorite thing. It was also so diverse. We went from Greek Town to China Town to Down Town to The Projects (where we were told that there was 73 LANGUAGES BEING SPOKEN!) all in about 15 minutes. The grass at the parks was also really soft so I liked playing frisbee on it.

Our group saw and did pretty much everything there is to see and do in Chicago: Sears Tower, A Boat Ride On Lake Michigan, Navy Pier, Ate At All Of The Best Restaurants, China Town, Greek Town, The Art Institute of Chicago, Second City (hilarious comedy club), And Walked All Around Down Town. And the best thing was that it was all free!

Aside from friends falling through a glass coffee table the trip was pretty safe. Oh, and then some of my friends and I found a wheel chair at a church that we stayed at and about 1 in the morning decided to push each other down a wheel chair ramp and got punished by not being allowed to sleep and so I haven't slept in about 46 hours.

Anyways, here are some pictures.

A coffee table that some friends fell through and cut themselves on

0.jpg

We drove through St. Louis and saw the Arch

1.jpg

2.jpg

Here's a lamp post

3.jpg

4.jpg

Here's some friends spinning me around on a death machine

5.jpg

China Town

6.jpg

Picasso

7.jpg

fork thing

8.jpg

probably my favorite picture

9.jpg

From Sears Tower

10.jpg

11.jpg

indian

12.jpg

My plate after eating a greek dessert

13.jpg

Hal (Astral P.) looking very smug after finishing his meal

14.jpg

15.jpg

pictures from our boat ride

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

The Lord

21.jpg

My van. the whole front seat and the guy with the red hair are the ones that were punished for the wheel chair and we hadn't slept for 'bout 42 hours and stuff was getting funny.

22.jpg

Goddamn that was a fun trip. Too bad you dont have the pic of you throwing up off the boat with the sunset skyline behind it.

*taps nametag somemore*

I look like I have a really nasty thin mustache in the picture of me post-Greek meal.

You did a lot in Chicago, BUT not even close to "did pretty much everything there is to see and do in Chicago." There is so much going on in the city, all the time, you can do something different every day for a year, and still have more to do. The diverse culture in Chicago is one of the things that makes it such a great city. I live in the burbs, and only vist when im not driving though. haha! If there's anything I hate, is driving in Chicago, or parking in Chicago. Both prove to be pretty stressful. You got lucky with the weather too. Normally this time of year, its more like 95, and humid as hell. We have very hot, and moist, or bitter cold. Not many "nice" days here. You guys did seem t hit most of the popular tourist areas, which is pretty cool. If you were 21, I would say to hit the Hancock tower in the evening. There's a lounge on the 95th floor, where you can get a table on the glass, enjoy a drink, and see the city with a view that equals the Sears Tower. Anyway, cool to see you had a good time here! Cool pictures as well!

the thing about chicago's summer weather i like is that usually when it gets cloudy or rainy, it's really nice and cool. here in stl, when it rains/clouds up, it mostly stays really hot and it's just nasty. but yeah, when the sun's out in chicago in summer, it can be horrid hot. i remember that one summer i spent in an apt with no a/c and just temp jobs so i was off a lot and had no money so i'd sit at home, sweat, and watch the weather channel reporting 78 degrees and breezy in san francisco.

that was that one summer all those people died from the heat. thinking back now, i should've just gone to the campus library. a/c and plenty of books to read. although you had to stay by the phone in case a job opened up. a cell phone would've been great then. man are we spoiled today.

Oh, and on that boat ride we took I drank a two liter bottle of this red cola stuff in five minutes and then threw up a bunch. My friend got this really good one of me spewing and the skyline is in the background.

Also, Paul, have you ever been to that one park called The Point (I think it was called that)? It was really nice.

man, we really need to see the hurling picture!

when I lived in N. Chicago (30 miles north) I also rarely drove into the city, like NPaul says, sucky traffic and parking, etc....but I think even if you're not a sports fan a trip to Wrigley is a must-do.

and I remember that summer with all the old people dying from the heat... seems they were finding them every day...

UM Forum Headline:
User: xfer Busted for Contributing to the Online Delinquency of a Minor

Related Thread:
NEW! xfer's line of pictured Kayo Dot / Foreign Dignitary / random Indian girl potholders and license plates now on sale