Just got my Engl Savage

Jan 23, 2008
Hey guys i just got myself an engl savage 120 and have been playing around with it for the last couple days. So far ive gotten a better tone then the 5150 side by side. but i know i could be dialing in the eq a bit better. Could any of you engl owners share your settings with me. Ive got an 81 in the bridge and am going through an XXL Cab. thanks alot guys.

Shane

FUCKING AWESOME

<----- super jealous. And I assume you mean the Engl XXL cab, you stupid farty-pants sonuvabitch? :mad: :D

ya i am pretty lucky. Just got an endorsement with them, had a blackmore long ago, but i was young and decided i needed more gain so i got a powerball, but after getting lost in the mix at the emperor shows last year with my band http://www.myspace.com/martriden (sorry for the name drop) i decided i needed to go back but i thought i might as well go balls out and get the savage. I have the midi interface and a g major is on the way, but i dont have alot of time before we hit the road and i want this new rig to be dialed in as best as i can. any help is appreciated,

I'm sure you know already, but lots of mids, less gain and more volume. Pull down the bass/low and adjust the treble to suit the venue, and remember that highs will be dampened a bit once the venue fills out ;)

Rhythm guitars from Darkane's Layers of Lies:

darkane_studio05_009.jpg

What do you mean by dimmed mids?

Judging by the lengths of shadows under the buttons, Lead Boost is off, Contour is on, Rough/Smooth is out (so that means Rough mode, I think, which would also mean Hi Balance bypassed), Crunch 2/Lead is in (so Lead Channel is active), and both Depth Boosts are off. However, if you listen to Layers of Lies, the guitars aren't very beefy, but they do sound good. Also, I noticed on my new e530 preamp that the more I lower the Upper Mid control (which would correspond to the Treble control on the Savage), the more I have to turn down the bass for a balanced tone... judging by the schematic, turning down the Upper Mid actually passes more signal to the Bass and Lower Mid controls, whereas a higher Upper Mid setting bypasses those controls more.

ya i have the mids cranked up pretty high on mine with the treble turned to about 11:00 and the bass at 12:00 with the mids at about 14:00 with my presence at about 13:00. However i get a little messed up with the two gain knobs. Seems they both add something but i dont understand which one does what really they both effect the dam thing.

as for my spelling i have MuSik Dixlexia'

i found that both with the savage and the blackmore Emg's plus vintage thirties are comming up with a shit ton of Mids, its getting dangerous.

About the 2 gain.....set the Gain knob in a position when your clean/crunch sound is good and then set the lead knob....for recording I have the 2 knob at 11:00...live I set the Lead knob at 13:00 or 14:00

As of today there is a Savage 120 sitting in my studio. The band I'm working with just got an endorsement with ENGL and they are basically leaving it here for me to get familiar with. Sounds pretty cool so far, very aggressive midrange IMO. A lot more versatile than the 6505 I'm used to, but getting plenty of nice tones right now.