Mic suggestion for ENGL XXL

H-evolve

Apr 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
I own a ENGL XXL (plugged to an ENGL Savage) I am quite satisfied with the cab, but there is a little something not quite perfect when mic'ing it with the classic SM57.

ENGL cabs are, to my ears at least, on the "edgy" side. So I don't feel the SM57 is the greatest match for those.

I already have a e906 which does a decent job, but that's still not what I am looking for. I'd like more bite and slight less fizz. The e906 is alright, but slightly more boxy than what I am looking for.

I heard nice things about the Heil Pr20, but I wonder if it is that different from the SM57.

And also, this is roughly the price range I'm looking for (e906, Pr20, etc).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Buy a used 421 off eBay or Reverb. Blending that with the SM57 will give you what I think you're looking for.

Reactions: H-evolve
Buy a used 421 off eBay or Reverb. Blending that with the SM57 will give you what I think you're looking for.
Thanks I'll look for a used one indeed. New ones are roughly 350 right?

I assume, and I could be wrong, that you have experience with blending those 2 mics, and perhaps even with an ENGL cab. When you blend them, which mic do you use as the main one (loudest one)? Or perhaps you let them even?

Just wondering how you like them, even though I'd surely run my own tests.

Also, Fredman micing with two SM57s has proven in the past to sound amazing on an ENGL cab, mellowing it up a bit by "phase-filtering" some fizz out. IIRC, the cab used in Clayman was the ENGL XXL one, but it might be worth digging up and reading the whole "Clayman sound" thread – back from the golden days of this forum – to make sure and to gather useful information. Nordstrom used to use the 5150 a lot, as is well known (and as he probably still does, I guess), but he also used the ENGL Savage.

Utiliser un deuxième SM57 coûterait nettement moins cher qu'un 421, ça c'est sûr. En tout cas, ça vaut la peine de lire la thread au complet.

Reactions: H-evolve
Thanks I'll look for a used one indeed. New ones are roughly 350 right?

I assume, and I could be wrong, that you have experience with blending those 2 mics, and perhaps even with an ENGL cab. When you blend them, which mic do you use as the main one (loudest one)? Or perhaps you let them even?

Just wondering how you like them, even though I'd surely run my own tests.
Yeah, new ones are a little over your suggested price range.

I do have experience blending those mics, but not with an Engl cab.

I like to get a good level established with the SM57 first, then start blending in the 421 to add some low end and smooth things out.

There are several options, and I Would recommend trying to blend your e609 with your 57 first since it's a "free" experiment. But yes, the pr20 is vastly different than a 57 in my experience, especially how it "sags" (I don't know how better to describe it). It captures the perceived movement of the speaker better than the other mics I have messed with. It blends pretty well with a 57, as well.