Engl XXL vs Mesa Oversized

Sickan

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jan 23, 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden
I'm seriously G.A.S.ing for a cab and the economy is allowing me to do so very soon.

The question is, should I buy a Engl XXL or a Mesa Oversized?

My weapon of choise is my 5150 (mkI) and I don't know which cab I like better. The oversized is loved by everyone and is used on everything, but the engl has a growl to it that I really love.

Tell me some pros/cons (if there are any) about both cabs!

I'm leaning towars the Engl atm.

Lolzgreg i think has both of these cabs, considering he's using them all the time to do re-amps for bands n such he should be able to give you a pretty clear indication of what each cab is like.

Honestly, from the clips I've heard, I prefer the standard-sized Engl over the XXL; front-mounting the V30's already scoops 'em pretty hard, in the XXL it seems like it just gets even more extreme (too much so IMO) And Greg has the standard-sized Engl Pro, btw (and my current reference for the Engl Pro tone is As You Drown's album, which you know how much I dig Sickan :D)

the XXL is a good cab...but the Mesa blows it out of the water.
I had an Engl salesman in the studio not too long ago, he brought the XXL...even he admitted the mesa sounds wider, fatter, chunkier, better

the XXL is a good cab...but the Mesa blows it out of the water.
I had an Engl salesman in the studio not too long ago, he brought the XXL...even he admitted the mesa sounds wider, fatter, chunkier, better

I think that the size of the room (comb filtering, early reflections), MUST have a large impact on the sound, because when we compared the EnglXXL to a Mesa oversized, the XXL was balanced, fat and open, and the Mesa was harsh and terrible. Our cab room is pretty small and damped btw.

So, the only way to find out is to test each in the environment they'll be placed in, IMO.

I think that the size of the room (comb filtering, early reflections), MUST have a large impact on the sound, because when we compared the EnglXXL to a Mesa oversized, the XXL was balanced, fat and open, and the Mesa was harsh and terrible. Our cab room is pretty small and damped btw.

So, the only way to find out is to test each in the environment they'll be placed in, IMO.

that's weird, exactly the opposite of how it sounded over here.
but yeah, he'll definitely have to test and compare himself I think

What about buying them both :D I have a engl 4x12 with vintage 30 and im for sure gonna buy a mesa when i got the money for it :headbang:

But seriously they are both a great buy, if money is an issue then buy the one that is cheaper.

Nic (Bekanor) had one of the XXL ENGL cabs and he played a Powerball through it, so it was less than impressive. :lol:

He has a Mesa OS now and hasn't even come CLOSE to looking back. ;)

Alright so I will probably buy the Mesa (a new one), it's a pretty safe bet and I think it will last for quite some while :loco:

Next question!

Could someone recommend a good boost pedal?
I've got a TS9 and a HM-2 but I'm interested in having even more tonal flexibility. I'm looking for something that could make the 5150 a bit more djenty (well maybe not djenty, but similar character to the early Meshuggah albums), is there any good alternatives to the TC Electronic Integrated Preamplifier (it's kinda impossible to get hold of?)?

IMO you should try Xotic BB preamp ... better than my Ibanez TS9 808mod...by miles!