Cabinet discussion - Orange vs Mesa - I need opinions guys

when your band makes it big and your manager comes up to you and says "hey guys, everythings great except for one thing, your backline isn't pink enough" dont come running to me ;)
haha

i like em both.
The orange can be a bit dark if youve got the straight, ive got the angled, muuch better.

Get the Mesa if you know it sounds good; don't worry too much about gear you've not heard. Use what you've got to the best of your ability.

What are the significant differences we can expect from Mesa traditional cab and a Recto cab?

A bit more pronounced low end? or something else...

Traditional has more low mids. Recto cab sounds less "boxy" and more scooped in the low mids.

I can't really comment on the Orange cabs, as I've never played through one. However, a friend told my they weigh a ton and don't come with casters. He described them as having a nice 3 dimensional sound, but a little darker tone.

FWIW - I think you can order the Orange cabs in black Tolex.

humbucker_2052_6632454

What are the significant differences we can expect from Mesa traditional cab and a Recto cab?

A bit more pronounced low end? or something else...

Hahahahahaha, oh man, the question I was waiting for - people always described the Recto cab as sounding "scooped," which is what initially made me go for the Stiletto/Traditional cab. However, after using it for many recordings over a few months, I realized what it had was too much mids, specifically around the 400Hz range, which made it feel wooly/stuffy, whereas with the Recto cab, in the words of Skeksis268, "the emphasis has moved down out of stuffyvilile to chuggatown" :D (by virtue of its increased bass).

So I prefer to say that the Recto cab is more balanced in the mids and the Stiletto has a wooly boost, rather than the Recto cab being scooped and the Stiletto being neutral. And I don't think my Recto cab clips (esp. in this thread) have sounded particularly scooped! ;)

Honestly, for metal recording purposes, the only cab I can see coming close to touching the Recto cab is a Mills Acoustics Afterburner! But money money money...

Maybe further down the line I can look at replacing my traditional cab with a recto cab, but I am nowhere near being able to afford it any time soon, and I love how my traditional one sounds at the moment.

I bought the halfstack used so I didn't have a choice, but I only learned of the different a few days ago. :)