Getting a 4x12 cab: Mesa vs Orange?

mm weird. I listened before looking at the results and for the first test i preferred the recto then the stiletto, and on the second i chose the stiletto then the recto as my 2nd choice. the thing that sucks though is i had to listen on my laptop speakers and who knows i mightve went for something totally different on my monitors.

It would be cool if next time you could put the option of download on the soundcloud so i can take it to my monitors but either way thanks!

Sure. The speakers are all Vintage 30s. That's the way I plan to run things. :) The Marshall cab is called "Marshall1960B-V30s" in my Redwirez archive.

Just FYI, the Metaltastic impulses were made with a JSX power amp (Metaltastic was my old username ;)), and I infinitely preferred the Recto cab I would go on to sell the Stiletto for; I found the Stiletto emphasized what I referred to as the stuffy/"wooly" band (~400 Hz) of the low mids, whereas the Recto cab shifted that emphasis down to chunky-town :cool:

And by the way, you're crazy if you think the mid knob on an amp (usually a wide boost/cut at 1k) will have any effect on excessive low-mids; I never understood how people could think you could really effectively compensate for differences in cabs (or speakers, pickups, etc.) with the extremely crude and imprecise (and non-linear) tone stack of the average amp, not to mention the fact that eq'ing before a very colored part of the signal chain (e.g. a cab) will have much less of an effect than eq'ing the mic'ed signal

Duuuuuude you're making this hard for me. :D I can get a mint Recto cab for 900€ now and the Orange new for 777€. :D The Orange would look amazing under my Rockerverb. And most people have been saying that the Orange sounds best in this comparison. I also love how the Orange and Bogner sound in this video... through a Rockerverb 50. I've got a Rockerverb 100 so should work just as nicely in my setup.

And I must say I'm mostly NOT PLAYING METAL with this cabinet. I think I'm still leaning towards Orange since it seems to work best for everything. Mesa might be a bit too dark for some genres if this comparison has any truth in it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the Mesa still sounds GOOD for rock, but it's not the cabinet I would buy if I were in a poprockpunkclassic band. The Orange wouldn't be my first choice either... I would choose the Orange cab if I wanted stoner rock or sludge sound a-la Sleep or High on Fire, something with gummy sticky mids. The Marshall 1960 with T75's pretty much laid most of the genre and is still heavily used to this day, but a 1960 with Chinese G12M speakers would be that much better. For 1960 with G12M speakers, think Hendrix tone. The Marshall 1960 is the cab that you want, not the Mesa or Orange line.

Well V30s is a must for me I'm afraid and I also liked the Marshall a tad better in some of those clips but honestly the Orange was a blend inbetween a Marshall and Mesa IMO. It was very close to Marshall but had some of that darkness or a Marshall. I think my mind is set.