trade engl pro for mesa oversized?

May 17, 2007
Germany
www.facebook.com
hehe, so I got me a used engl 4x12 pro last week for 660€. I`m really happy of course, but now I found this dude who is willing to trade his mesa oversizied cab for my engl, HAHAHAHA! should I do it?
I would mostly be using it for metal and I play a fireball and 5150.

Search for threads started by Lasse in the Rate my Mix section (either under the name LSD Studio or Lasse Lammert), he's posted some comparison clips cuz he has both cabs, and I say Mesa all the way! (the Engl has a slight cloudy/boxy quality to it IMO from its speakers being front-mounted on the baffle)

Just take an amp with you and compare them side by side... I wouldn't say one is necessarily better than the other, just different.

Spoken like a true victim of European Mesa prices :heh:

Haha... damn Boogie-Nazis! ;)

They're not that far away from each other (I mean the price). I prefer the Mesa OS to the Engl Pro in many settings, but there's also the Engl Pro XXL, which I like probably even more than the Mesa OS.

And then there's also the Bogner standard 4x12 in the same ballpark.

Yeah, the Bogner I'm not sure about, cuz I've NEVER heard of it being used on a recording, and since it's similar spec-wise to the Mesa Traditional/Stiletto (which I've grown not particularly fond of), I don't have very high hopes. I've never heard anything about the Engl Pro XXL cab, though I am curious about it, but the fact remains pretty much every awesome tone in recent years has been through a Mesa OS cab!

Yeah, the Bogner I'm not sure about, cuz I've NEVER heard of it being used on a recording, and since it's similar spec-wise to the Mesa Traditional/Stiletto (which I've grown not particularly fond of), I don't have very high hopes. I've never heard anything about the Engl Pro XXL cab, though I am curious about it, but the fact remains pretty much every awesome tone in recent years has been through a Mesa OS cab!

i've got a friend with a bogner cab with v30's. i'll probably end up using for some recordings in the near future. i could post some clips if people want, possibly even make some impulses if i knew how:)

i've got a friend with a bogner cab with v30's. i'll probably end up using for some recordings in the near future. i could post some clips if people want, possibly even make some impulses if i knew how:)

Yeah dude, I'd definitely be curious to hear that, and as for your second question...

BLAMMO :D

Interesting everyone prefers the Mesa OS here. For live use I've A/B'd it extensively with ENGL, Bogner, Vader and Diezel cabs and it got killed every time. Flubby lows and cloudy overall compared to any of these other cabs. It doesn't sound shit or anything but just doesn't have the punch of the others.

It could very well pwn for recording though since that's another story, I'll be trying it out next to my ENGL XXL and Vaders when we re-amp later on.

It could very well pwn for recording though since that's another story, I'll be trying it out next to my ENGL XXL and Vaders when we re-amp later on.

I'll be really interested to hear that, I've never heard clips of either the XXL Engl cab or any Vader! And for me, how good a cab sounds recorded is the most important criterion, and I've heard plenty of awesome live tones with the Recto cab so I know I can definitely live with its "sacrifices" in that department! :D

It's strange how cool a cab could sound in the room but be quite unusable when miced up for recording... and the other way around (though less likely).

While I think the Mesa OS is so well behaved under a mic, I've been never wow'ed by it in a live setting. The Engl Pro cut through better, but was kinda harsh... So eventually I've even settled on a (back then) top of the line Crate cab with Seventy 80s as my main live cab, though I initially bought it as a backup / for a different flavor.

I firmly believe that there's no such thing like a be-all-end-all cabinet.