Just ordered one of these (budget mic content)

RevoltStudios

Aug 2, 2009
I had the pleasure of using many of this guy's mics in Nashville and they were nothing but spot on. Decided to buy one myself, the CM87. Incredible quality and sound. I only use real U87's from Blackbird usually but after being stuck with only a CM87 and mixing with it, I realized I liked it more! It has less of a bright edge to it and is a heck of a lot safer to lug around. Breaking/Losing a U87 from Blackbird is a huge scare. Check them out. The best mic they have to my ears is the tube CM47. Good god is it gold on guitar and vocals.

http://www.aamicrophones.com/fet_mics/cm_87.htm

I've been intrigued by these the AA mics for some time but I still haven't gotten around to buying any. I've exchanged a few emails with the guy and he's very eccentric which you gotta love! He also seems very knowledgeable and there's clearly a lot of thinking behind his products.

I just have a hard time deciding which models to get. Was thinking about a CM47SE (tube version) and two CM87SE but the CM414 seems very interesting too.

Which models have you been using? And did you get the regular CM87 or did you go for the SE?

I've mostly used the CM47 tube which is the best of the line to my ears, super warm and even in a great way. I also mostly use the CM87 but not the SE or upgraded model. I've used the pencil fet's but they were very blah, wouldn't recommend.

I constantly struggle with upgrades to basic kit - find a mic (or pre or whatever) for a reasonable price and with great reviews and then feel sort of obliged to almost double the cost with custom name-brand xformers and cap upgrades. I end-up suffering such option anxiety that I usually don't bother and buy something else instead - like another SM57 or a guitar!

So I'm waiting to hear some clips from you using this mic. I'd also like to know the full signal chain and any processing done on the source, if you don't mind. I've never heard of these guys before and your post has piqued my (and a friends) interest very much. If you could do a shootout with like a ksm32 that would be awesome, too. Sorry if this is asking a bit much, but I'm nervous about buying a mic I know nothing about.

So I'm waiting to hear some clips from you using this mic. I'd also like to know the full signal chain and any processing done on the source, if you don't mind. I've never heard of these guys before and your post has piqued my (and a friends) interest very much. If you could do a shootout with like a ksm32 that would be awesome, too. Sorry if this is asking a bit much, but I'm nervous about buying a mic I know nothing about.

In the meantime, check out the interview with Dave on the Sessions with Slau podcast. That's what caught my interest in the first place.

I've already said "fuck it" and bought a 47fet. I emailed them about return policies and it turns out there's a 10% restocking fee, so I figured I'd get one that's inexpensive before going balls out on the tube 47 or 67.