Just scored a Mapex M Birch kit for £85!!!!

Trevoire520

Mar 24, 2007
Fife, Scotland
Just wanted to share with you all, I'm in a very good mood tonight as I'm the proud owner of this drum kit! :D Gotta go down as the best bargain I've ever picked up!

kitfront.jpg

kitback.jpg

drumgrain.jpg

No snare with it and the hi-hats are cheap crap, but it's hardly been played and for £85 I can't complain! Gotta love local ebayers with 0 feedback ;) It was even pretty well tuned!

Next step is looking to be a set of bags and some new skins. Probably G2's over G1's on the toms. Can't decide between a Powerstroke 3, Ebony Pinstripe or the Onyx EMAD on the kick. Anyone want to weigh in?

Nice man! GREAT FIND.

I remember paying $150 for my first drum set and it was no where near as nice as that set...to say the least haha.

Next step is looking to be a set of bags and some new skins. Probably G2's over G1's on the toms. Can't decide between a Powerstroke 3, Ebony Pinstripe or the Onyx EMAD on the kick. Anyone want to weigh in?

The Aquarian Superkick II is my favorite bass drum head of all time. I've tried Powerstroke 3s, but IMO they don't compare (for metal). EMADs provide a similar sound to the SKII, but I've had problems with the muffling ring falling off or breaking.

G2s are cool on the toms. If you want less overtones and a more defined sound, try the EC2s, which are basically G2s with a built in muffling ring.

Nice man! I remember scoring my Yamaha Stage Custom set, also birch I think for 50$ from an old neighbor. I felt so bad taking it from him, he thought he was giving me a fair deal, lolz.

Yeah, clear G2s on top with G1s on the bottom is what I'm using at the mo, love em! A bit ringy at times and will defo let you know if you've any loose hardware elsewhere on the kit. But they produce a lovely natural tom sound and sound great under a mic, just gate em a little (or use a little Moongel) if need be.
I use EMAD on the kick and yeah, the muffle ring snapped.

Not yet, in the past week or so I've bought a Orange Thunder 30, cases for the drums, a Sennheiser E902, the Paiste ride and a gig bag for my bass, so my bank account has been hit hard! Hoping to order the skins at the weekend after I'm paid and then I'll get it tuned and sampled! :)