Just sharing some of my mixes from Fascination Street and my home studio

Can I have your job if you're quitting? :)

The stuff on your page sounds really good!

Why would you want to quit working with music? You have great skills in both mixing and writing music, it would be a shame. And obviously a lot of people here would kill to have the chance to work with Jens Bogren.

Glad to see ppl seem to like my mixes :) And I think it's kind of funny, because I kind of agree with worldwideweapon haha. Funny how one can prefer a bedroom mix before a mix done in a super fancy studio :).

Well, there are many reasons why I'm thinking of quitting doing this. At least at a "professional" level for now. I do not work full time at Fascination Street. If a band shows interest, I get to mix. Some times there are longer periods (months) when I don't have work at F-street. To be able to just jump in to a project at FStreet at any time, I've had to be very flexible and I've relied on other intermittent jobs. It's getting very difficult for me to make a living off these jobs when I don't have any projects at FStreet. I need a more stable income and I need to feel that I'm doing something meaningful with my life, not just sitting around waiting for jobs at Fascination Street.

That's one of the reasons. Another reason is that I'm just not feeling it any more. For almost a year now I've felt like I've lost my passion for music (at least metal music). It doesn't feel meaningful, which totally sucks. Getting your dream job and suddenly realizing it's maybe not for you sure messes with one's head.

Yet another reason why I don't feel motivated to continue with the mixing thing, is that I've realized I need to be doing something more social than just spending time by myself in front of a computer. Mixing for a living is surely an amazing dream for many people, but not being part of a social group (for example at a work place) is something that I've realized makes me very depressed and I'm tired of feeling like shit all the time. I guess it's an advantage if you have Asperger's syndrome or something like that if you're gonna work with these kind of things haha. Or just an introvert. Now it may seem like I'm seeing everything from a completely "black or white" (it's either this way, or that way) point of view, but I've been trying to get my life more balanced for a long time now and I think the situation I'm in is not really helping at all. I think I need to make some drastic changes.

These are only a few reasons why I've lost my motivation. There are many more which I can not really discuss here.

Oh well, this turned in to a long ramble, but I needed to vent :)

I totally understand, I'm in a kinda similar situation (for different reasons though). I hope that you will at least continue to work on your own music because I think you're quite talented.

Man your stuff sound amazing, it's always sad to see someone good at what they do decide to stop doing it because it's such a hard job financially (and I've seen a lot of talented people close their studio activities recently).

Fifth_Horseman: The band is called The Forsaken, I mixed their latest album "Beyond Redemption" :)

Thanks André!
I actually found that out via Google yesterday, started to listen on Youtube and ordered their album upon listening to the second song.
Really catchy stuff, right down my alley, and the production on that album just kills. Great job both of you on the mix and Jens on the master, love it! :worship:

Sucks to hear that you lost your motivation... to be honest, it sounds quite familiar to me, and probably does to many others as well.
Having worked hard to get somewhere for years, and when you're there you suddenly feel like it's meaningless, lose enthusiasm for it, start to feel trapped in it and feel the need to change something drastic to escape the situation, because you think it is actually not meant for you and you feel totally unbalanced.

According to a friend of mine who studies social economics, it is actually quite typical for people in their late twenties to go through such a phase. Usually after having finished studies, apprenticeship or the like and having settled down in a job and in the private situation. It's like suddenly they start asking themselves if that's really all there is to life, and all they can look forward to in the next 40 years or so.

Since you feel that bad at the moment it is obvious that you need to change something...
My serious advice to you, if you either are not sure about what exactly to change, how to change it or just fail at changing it:
Get some kind of professional coaching: job coaching / life coaching or whatever seems appropriate. A professional coach can help you with reviewing your situation, finding out about your life motives and deciding what exactly needs to be changed to get back into balance.
I can tell you that in my situation the changes didn't need to be nearly as drastic as I thought, and my life decisions in the previous years weren't nearly as bad as I believed. And how surprised I was when I found that out...

The good thing is: If you get active, you might like the changes you did or at least investigated, or you might find out that the grass on the other side actually isn't greener at all. But even discovering the latter will still make you feel much better about staying where you are, because you don't need to yearn for the other side anymore.

So the question is what factors in your life actually throw your balance off and what you can do to remedy that.
Obviously you have some ideas already, and I think you're definitely on a good track in wanting to stabilize your financial situation, as well as in realizing the importance of social interaction. Those are very important base factors in anyone's life, it can hardly hurt to improve in these areas. And as you said there are more reasons.

I wish you good luck in improving your situation!

+1 on everything the guys before said ;)

besides that-damn, didn't even knew that The Forsaken are still around, the Art of Desolation
is one of the best dm albums imho!

Those MisTrigger tunes are wicked! Do you have an album or should I just download these tracks one by one and arrange them in order I like? :)

Glad to see ppl seem to like my mixes :) And I think it's kind of funny, because I kind of agree with worldwideweapon haha. Funny how one can prefer a bedroom mix before a mix done in a super fancy studio :).

Well, there are many reasons why I'm thinking of quitting doing this. At least at a "professional" level for now. I do not work full time at Fascination Street. If a band shows interest, I get to mix. Some times there are longer periods (months) when I don't have work at F-street. To be able to just jump in to a project at FStreet at any time, I've had to be very flexible and I've relied on other intermittent jobs. It's getting very difficult for me to make a living off these jobs when I don't have any projects at FStreet. I need a more stable income and I need to feel that I'm doing something meaningful with my life, not just sitting around waiting for jobs at Fascination Street.

That's one of the reasons. Another reason is that I'm just not feeling it any more. For almost a year now I've felt like I've lost my passion for music (at least metal music). It doesn't feel meaningful, which totally sucks. Getting your dream job and suddenly realizing it's maybe not for you sure messes with one's head.

Yet another reason why I don't feel motivated to continue with the mixing thing, is that I've realized I need to be doing something more social than just spending time by myself in front of a computer. Mixing for a living is surely an amazing dream for many people, but not being part of a social group (for example at a work place) is something that I've realized makes me very depressed and I'm tired of feeling like shit all the time. I guess it's an advantage if you have Asperger's syndrome or something like that if you're gonna work with these kind of things haha. Or just an introvert. Now it may seem like I'm seeing everything from a completely "black or white" (it's either this way, or that way) point of view, but I've been trying to get my life more balanced for a long time now and I think the situation I'm in is not really helping at all. I think I need to make some drastic changes.

These are only a few reasons why I've lost my motivation. There are many more which I can not really discuss here.

Oh well, this turned in to a long ramble, but I needed to vent :)

I can relate perfectly to everything you just wrote. I closed down recently (I'll still pick up an odd gig or two every now and then if I can find the time), and personally, it's been really good for my mental wellbeing. Not trying to guide you in one direction or another, and it's never nice to give up on your dream, but I just wanted you to know you're not alone with your thoughts :)

Thanks again guys for the kind words :)

Brett - K A L I S I A: Thank you :) It sure is a hard job financially, even if you get a chance to work at a big name studio. I'm not going to quit making my own music and I am absolutely going to continue mixing, but more at a hobby level I think :)

Fifth_Horseman: Really glad to hear you like the Forsaken album! I sure enjoyed working on it, they sure have some catchy songs in there :)

I'm aware of this being quite common at my age and it feels good talking to people about it who actually can relate. Talking to a coach or maybe a counsellor of some sort is a really good advice and I might just do that. And sure, the grass might not be greener on the other side, but at this point I feel that any kind of change would actually be a good change. I need to get moving and I really want to feel that I'm doing something that feels meaningful for me. Tomorrow is the last day to apply for university studies for the spring semester here in Sweden and I'm gonna apply for a couple of different programmes. I've already studied for three years and it did generate in working professionally with music, but now it feels like it's time to turn the chapter. Thanks for your advice man, means alot :)

Atheist: Hehe, glad you dig my electronic stuff man! ;) I suck at promoting myself and there's no album or anything like that, so it's all up for grabs :)

Jarkko Mattheiszen: Feels nice to hear I'm not alone with these kind of thoughts. Sorry to hear you had to close down, but if it resulted in a positive thing regarding your well being I'm sure it was for the best :). I think it's a very difficult decision to make, deciding to not do this anymore. But some times I guess one has to make these kind of decisions, for the sake of ones well being :)

Yet another reason why I don't feel motivated to continue with the mixing thing, is that I've realized I need to be doing something more social than just spending time by myself in front of a computer. Mixing for a living is surely an amazing dream for many people, but not being part of a social group (for example at a work place) is something that I've realized makes me very depressed and I'm tired of feeling like shit all the time. I guess it's an advantage if you have Asperger's syndrome or something like that if you're gonna work with these kind of things haha. Or just an introvert.

I can relate to everything you wrote, but this part especially struck me. I'm an extrovert – ENTP to be exact, if anyone's into the whole MBTI craziness – and I've been thinking about this subject for a long time, and recently been coming to realizations.

I've many times read from this forum how people e.g. hate tracking and can't wait to get to the mixing part. I, on the other hand, have always loved recording and "making it come together" with the band, and never really liked mixing at all – it's just been one of those things that has to be done to get the music out there. I also experience similar feelings of shittiness and general tiredness, after sitting alone in front of the computer all the time and mixing. I feel it affects my mixes in a very negative way as well, as I have to really force myself towards the end of projects. I've many times thought about just grabbing my laptop, my headphones and my interface to go to the nearest library to edit and/or mix, just to have people around me and get more energized that way. Hell, every once in a while, someone might even interrupt me, so I wouldn't get lost in the details all the time. The recording part has always been the most rewarding to me too, since I can really get creative and propose my ideas to the band, and mostly the band gets enthusiastic too and into the brainstorming and me wanting to try out my ideas, even if it doesn't necessarily sound that good all the time. Which is also the reason why I don't really consider FOH mixing to be a more valid career choice for me either, even though it's still a lot of fun and I do it occasionally – that, and it often pays better and it's easier to get gigs, but that's another thing entirely. To me, it just feels so time constrained and stressful, and often you're dealing with such a huge hassle with POS gear, that you can't really focus on experimenting and making art, like in the studio, but have to focus instead on getting it at least bearable and improve from that. If you can and have the time, that is.

What I'm going to do, at least right now, is get more into music theory and songwriting, then apply to university to further study music. Luckily I went to school for music technology before – just graduated this spring – so I had a "safe environment" so to speak (in Finland school's free and you get paid a student benefit), to find out which parts of the job I liked and which I did not, and thus am able to calibrate my approach more precisely. I also found out that I quite dig and am really interested in the music technology side of things, that is, electronic music, synthesis, max/msp and supercollider and such. In the end, I'll probably be focusing more on the production side of things, and also making and playing more music myself and with collaborative efforts.

All in all, it feels good to hear that others here have had similar thoughts; I refuse to call them problems, personally, since I don't see them that way. I'm sure you'll find your own answers and signposts eventually. Probably they're already in your unconscious, just haven't found the words to be able to form as concrete thoughts yet. Good luck!