Just thought of a cool idea for drum mixingz

GarethSE

New Metal Member
Jul 5, 2008
so like
you've got a real kit, miced up, tuned nicely, blah blah

what if you like
took samples of the snare tuned really low and deep, and maybe a more mid range tuned set of samples too, then you tune it really high and record a more pingy snare sound.

if you got a lot of snare in the OH, then when you mix, it would sound pretty interesting if you replaced the snare track with a lower tuned snare and left a higher pitched sound in the OH and room mic
if you used a sample of the exact same drum just tuned lower, i can imagine that blending really well and creating a really interesting snare sound.
spose it just comes down to it being a more natural way of creating franken-snare sounds, which i enjoy

anyone played around with something like this before?

Hey Gareth,

I haven't done exactly that, but what I did was take samples of the snare before recording, then when mixing used the samples to replace, then bounced the snare track triggered with the sample, imported into another track, downtuned (can't remember how much steps though) with a heavy verb on it, and mix to taste, gave a really nice 3D depth and body to it. But that is actually a pretty good idea, and it's what this is all about, being creative ^^

Yeah cool idea Gareth!

I'm just gonna do some random ranting to get it out of my system though... IN YOUR THREAD. I recently changed the reso heads of all toms to Remo Diplomat as opposed to some shitty Pearl heads I had before.. lol. I tuned the drums very well and shit, but I'm just not happy with the results! I feel fucked up over it... it doesn't sound any "ZOMG LOL WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU", it's rather "Meh... ok". And as for the snare, I wanted something a bit ringier than the Evans Genera Dry or whatever it's called (the head with the tiny holes for ultra short sustain and ring) so I replaced it with an Ambassador... and I fucking hate it. Ringy as FUCK and I hate damping drum heads, it always creates a weird sound so I'll just have to buy another head...

PHEEEEW there, end rant.

If I get bored I might try that this weekend. Altho I think the opposite (close-mic tuned higher) might work a bit better.

I'm just gonna do some random ranting to get it out of my system though... IN YOUR THREAD. I recently changed the reso heads of all toms to Remo Diplomat as opposed to some shitty Pearl heads I had before.. lol. I tuned the drums very well and shit, but I'm just not happy with the results! I feel fucked up over it... it doesn't sound any "ZOMG LOL WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU", it's rather "Meh... ok". And as for the snare, I wanted something a bit ringier than the Evans Genera Dry or whatever it's called (the head with the tiny holes for ultra short sustain and ring) so I replaced it with an Ambassador... and I fucking hate it. Ringy as FUCK and I hate damping drum heads, it always creates a weird sound so I'll just have to buy another head...

Yeah, I've never found the reso heads to make much of a difference. I got my kit 2nd hand and the reso heads on the toms are at LEAST ten years old. I replaced one of them and couldn't tell a difference, so fuck it.