Just to Clarify: Triggers & Drumagog?

wishtheend

clip the apex
Dec 29, 2005
SL, UT
I saw the post a little bit down saying using triggers without a modual (brain). From what I gather, you would just run the triggers DIRECT into the unit (in my case a Firepod)? I own Drumagog and have been using Andy's samples, triggering from just a mic'ed kit. But I feel a triggers would be a bit more accurate. Anyone have any experience or can explain this a little better to me? In the end, I'd like to do triggered drums in recording (live doesn't matter) but I don't have the cash to spend on those expensive drum brains (roland vdrums or ddrum).

Any advice would be great.

It seems like you understand the concept fine. Just record the triggers as tho they were mics and replace the sounds using drumagog. I do this quite a bit and it's definitely more accurate than triggering w/ the mic track-- especially if your drummer smashes the shit out of his hats. If you have the inputs available it's nice to have both the mics as well as the triggers.

Well, I thought I understood the concept, but not having any previous experience with triggers, I really don't understand what the signal is that I'll be capturing (what output do triggers make when direct to a mixer). I only have 8 inputs at the moment, but have been looking into picking up another firepod, which would let me dedicate one unit for triggering and the other for mics. Thanks again for the help.

Just recorded some drums using this approach. Miced everything and used triggers on kick and all toms. Great experience, so much better then my failed attempts at using the MIDI outs on a ddrum module to trigger samples, the inaccuracy of MIDI timing drove me completely nuts.

And triggers are just piezo mics, so it outputs contact sounds.

wishtheend said:
Well, I thought I understood the concept, but not having any previous experience with triggers, I really don't understand what the signal is that I'll be capturing (what output do triggers make when direct to a mixer). I only have 8 inputs at the moment, but have been looking into picking up another firepod, which would let me dedicate one unit for triggering and the other for mics. Thanks again for the help.
Triggers work on the same principle as a mic except the transducer is actually in contact with the drum. They sort of sound like shitty, sharp drums. You can actually hear other drums if you really crank trigger track.