Just when I thought I had seen it all...

S4R

gooey
Sep 7, 2001
.il.us
Sunday evening here in the United States a program aired that no sane person could have possibly fathomed, "Tara Lipinski’s Hip-Hop on Ice." :err: Three words came to mind when I witnessed this, WHAT THE FUCK? I would like to know what deformed mind came up with this idea. The event in and of itself is of no concern to me; my concern is that the event actually took place. Just when I thought I had seen it all.

Well, every station airs pure crap at least every now and then. FOX airs a whole lot of bullshit too..."When Good Pets Go Bad" and "Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire" come to mind.

Originally posted by Oyo
Sunday evening, you better have watched the Simpsons, that new episode was damn funny. What channel was this on? Probably ABC, CBS, or NBC, only those three could air such crap.

I most certainly DID watch The Simpsons, I am not some sort of weirdo. I just saw a glimpse of this Tara Lipinski abomination as I was surfing through channels.

I'm actually disappointed I missed that. I could use a laugh. :lol: Normally I'd be mad, but this is just so outrageous that it's actually funny.

Originally posted by Lina
I'm actually disappointed I missed that. I could use a laugh. :lol: Normally I'd be mad, but this is just so outrageous that it's actually funny.

I may have come across like this pissed me off, but it didn't, the reason I mention is, yes, because it is so outrageous.

Eh, who's Tara Lipinski? And what's wrong with her?

If you have just a problem because there's some hip-hop on TV, I think you're overreacting.

-Villain

Holy shit! Hip-hop on TV? What is this world coming to? I never imagined such a thing would come to pass, why they might as well dedicate an entire television station to playing 3rd rate cheesy dramas and sitcoms, starring desperate, has-been actors, and done by severely uninspired and insanely simple-minded writers, and call it "Pax"!

On a serious note, though, it's pretty silly. But then I always thought the disney-on-ice abminations were pretty stupid too.

Originally posted by Villain
Eh, who's Tara Lipinski? And what's wrong with her?

If you have just a problem because there's some hip-hop on TV, I think you're overreacting.

-Villain
She's this tiny little white figure skater. It was no doubt very exploitative of hip-hop. Like, there was probably a recording of someone saying, "You go, girl" or "This is for my homies." No one's critiquing hip-hop being on TV. It's when white America (or even black America, to an extent) trivializes it with little catch-phrases that I get annoyed.

For example: In K-PAX, an otherwise decent movie, one black girl says to the other black girl, "You go, homegirl." YUUUUUCK. I mean, was that the most stimulating line the writers could think to give a black girl? It's so stereotypical.

Originally posted by Lina
In K-PAX, an otherwise decent movie, one black girl says to the other black girl, "You go, homegirl." YUUUUUCK. I mean, was that the most stimulating line the writers could think to give a black girl? It's so stereotypical.

How was that movie? I really liked all the other movies I've seen with Kevin Spacey in them (well I was kinda iffy about Pay It Forward, but the movie certainly wasn't bad, just one of those movies that tried to be great, but didn't cut it). He seems to take some really amazing roles, and always steals the show. But this particular movie looked like one of those movies 16 year old preppy girls call "cute". I avoid those kinds of movies. So how was it? Is it better than the previews portray? Because they portray something along the lines of Dr. Dolittle, Bicentennial Man or Mystery Men to me.

I have mixed feelings on the movie. I think it's definitely worth seeing, but I was disappointed at the turn the movie made -- it went from being a fantastic commentary on the idiocy of our society (critiquing religion and politics, etc) to being a feel-good version of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." (Most of the movie takes place in a mental institution, with the "alien" giving hope to all the crazies.) But the reason I was so horrified with that "You go, homegirl" line was that the movie was quite thought-provoking overall. It's as if they had to dumb it down just enough so that people would actually go see it. :( But rent it when it comes out.