K gentelmen, need your ears - short gtr 'n drum test

SkyMan666

How do record? \O_o/
Feb 7, 2008
As the title says, I need your ears. Mine are pretty tired right now.

I'm recording a gothic rock band right now and I'm kinda stuck, so to speak. Here's a short clip I've made today, and I need your opinions on sound. Drums were played (TD-20) through Superior 2.0, gtrs are ENGL Powerball with ENGL V30 cab and Mesa Triple Rect with Mesa 4x12 and Randall T75 cabs. For ENGL I've used SM 57 on-axis, for rectifier I've managed to get Neumann TLM 103. Great sounding so far. But I can't judge my work properly, can I? :cool:

Critique it please.

Cheers, SkyMan

Moving On Tone Test

I know that since this is goth rock it fits in a slightly different genre than metal, but I can't help but think the bass click sounds a little weird. Not a bad weird just a different weird. I think the guitars can be brought up just a tad.

Excellent mix overall though, haven't heard any decent goth rock recently. :D

Agree with whats said above, bass click sounds weird and guitars could be brought up, and I also think the toms could be dropped a bit as well, or some low-end on them reduced. They're a little out-of-place compared to the rest of the drums. Snare sounds great, as do the guitars.

Hey there guys. Thanx a lot.

@spioraid: Can you define, how weird? :) Does it need less click or what? :) I agree 'bout guitars. As I've said, my ears were pretty tired....

@morgoe: thanx man. I totally agree with you about volume. I'll reduce the volume, 'cause I like toms with low-end so much :D

@damphire: Hmmm, in a few words? Lets see. First of all, I've had to get rid off some highs and lows - HP @ 150 Hz and LP @ 12-14 kHz. Then I've used some stock S2.0 snare presets (Splat, I think). In Cubase's mixer I've added PSP MixSaturator with drive @ 75% & Stage Tape 3. Some minor EQing inside PSP won't hurt (much) :D. I also use API-2500 Compressor and API 560 EQ. Experiment a little and you'll be on the right track.

I'd like to hear the kick a little better than I can right now. I think maybe a different sample would sound better. Also the crashes seems to be exceedingly loud.

Guitars sound a little thin as well. A slight boost in the mids/lows might help.