circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Kaliban – The Tempest of Thoughts
Crash Music Inc. – CMU 61140 – March 22nd, 2005
By Jason Jordan

lfr314026_small.jpg

The Tempest of Thoughts is not a new album. No, it’s far from being new actually. Kaliban’s debut was originally released in 2002 on the semi-known Low Frequency Records, which makes what I hold in my hands a reissue of sorts. The band mix an uncountable amount of styles (power, death, et al) on The Tempest of Thoughts, and their artistry is in need of no major improvements. Whoa, déjà vu.

First, don’t mistake this group for German, metalcore-purveyors Caliban, because said bands are extremely different as far as style is concerned. Kaliban are of Finnish origin and – like my introduction states – they blend progressive power metal with death metal, but add a fistful of melody for good measure. Comparisons to Amorphis are warranted upon completing the six-minute opus cataloged under “Time to Burn.” Most of the time, the band retains a distinct, Finnish sound. You know just as well as I do that that particular, geographical area produces nuances heard nowhere else. I actually enjoyed the blending of female vox and keyboards found on “Orchard.” And, in addition, Peltola’s death growls are fair, though definitely not outstanding or idiosyncratic for that matter. The first minute of “Forever in Bloom” is comparable to that of a less epic Nightwish. Yes, another Finnish band. I’ve also heard Children of Bodom used in conjunction with Kaliban, but I don’t really hear the former in The Tempest of Thoughts. Nearly all the tracks reach the five-minute mark or go above and beyond, which means that we receive roughly forty minutes of music.

Despite having many forces working against it, The Tempest of Thoughts proves to be decent. The album is three years old, the artwork is butt-ugly, and the band borrow immensely from their elders, but Kaliban are okay. Nonetheless, Crash Music is a good label with more rewarding efforts in stock. I suggest you stick with those.

7/10

Official Crash Music Inc. Website