circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Relentless – Tempest of Torment
Crash Music Inc. – CMU61147 – June 14th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

um.gif

It took me about a year to realize that hands adorned the cover art of Metallica’s Master of Puppets. And, even if the latter’s artwork wasn’t considered subtle, Relentless’s Tempest of Torment can be considered as such. My only hint shall be: scrutinize the clouds. But – what’s not so subtle – is the music that radiates from Tempest of Torment, which is undoubtedly brutal death metal that takes elements of Cannibal Corpse, Dismember, and The Chasm, and twists them into one.

Lamentably, the music that Relentless crafts doesn’t have a shroud of originality. Sometimes, if the band is adequately talented, it’s somewhat acceptable if the members aren’t necessarily concerned with penning original numbers. The opening composition, “Furious,” is far from being the first of its kind, yet the riffage is so utterly cutthroat that it works masterfully. Once the aforementioned scenario took place, I found myself becoming apathetic about whether the style was uniform or not. Who cares if you enjoy the instrumentation, right? Anyhow, a considerable amount of Tempest of Torment is that of a slow pace, and the growling vocalizations are about what one would expect of music of this particular caliber: uneventful but fitting. Honestly, the strong points of Relentless lie in their usage of cataclysmic riffs, which subsequently heighten the enjoyment factor of each opus. However, judging the band at first impression may not yield such favorable results.

Crash Music Inc. is indeed not so differential from other established labels. That is, they’ve got their fair share of the good (Coram Lethe, Disgorge, Relentless), the bad (Unshine, Mortician), and the ugly (I.C.E.). As of now, my wallet’s mostly anal retentive, although it does have room for the latest from Relentless, which is an instant lender of credibility.

8/10

Official Crash Music Inc. Website

Kind of a shame you don't have a cover image for this one, the cover's not bad...As for the album itself, haven't heard it, but it sounds horns-worthy to me... :headbang: