Kalmah pronunciation

the 'a' sounds should be low and back. and you have to pronounce the 'h' at the end. 'l' shouldnt be so called 'dark' but rather clear as if it was at the beginning of the word (like in 'lobby').

if youre for a deeper research i recommend the wiki article on Finnish phonology.

cheers to you too :)

ive always thought it was pronounced like call-ma but put the ma is pronounced like the mu in mud.

alright we have successfully discovered the pronunciation of the second half of the the name now we need to figure out if the first part is pronounced cal as in calorie or call??

aren't you supposed to pronounce the H at the end too?

so that would lead to:

KÀL-mach (that ch is the back of your throat)

or am I just wrong? =P

look at 1:00
he says Antti Kokko from Finland from Kalmah

Last edited by a moderator:
The H is silent. And Kal is like Calgary, but not that lenght on the a, like, "Kall", and the Mah is like an Italian guy says "mamma mia"

so...then was I right or not? *confused*

The H in Finland becomes somewhat of a "ch" normally...so why wouldn't it be so in the bandname?

well the word kalmah is in Karelian

wikipedia definition: Karelian is a language closely related to Finnish, with which it is not necessarily mutually intelligible. Karelian is spoken mainly in Republic of Karelia, Russia. Dialects spoken in Finnish Karelia (North Karelia and South Karelia) are not considered Karelian but Savonian dialects or Southeastern dialects of Finnish