Kamelot - Epica

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
Kamelot – Epica. Review

Managed to finally get a hold of these mp3s and here is my song by song review

1. Prologue. Just an atmospheric opener that sets the scene for the first song proper.
2. Centre of the universe. First thing to say is that the quality is again very high on the same level if not more spectacular than before musically. Thom Youngblood lays down some great riffs in this song and the solos are very ripping too. Now we get to the best part. Khan is better than ever. Super smooth delivery with epic melodies. A great opener as per usual judging from the last couple of Kamelot disks.
3. Farewell. Heavy and double bass packed start. Then calms down suddenly and atmospheres build before the ripping speed riffs return. Reminds me of Luca’s latest album in the atmosphere (not surprising, as it’s the same production team), but without the electronic keyboard effects. An awesome chorus enters the view that is so recognisable once it rears its head. Another fast tune but with a grandiose epic flavour. So far this is way better than Kamelot has done up to now which takes some doing considering they were already at the top of the tree. One more thing the production is about as good as it can possibly be.
4. Interlude 1 Opiate soul. A choir sings in Latin or Italian before a build up on to the next song
5. The edge of Paradise. As expected we are off in mid tempo territory now after the two fast paced openers. The riffs are awesome and they build a very mystical atmosphere along with the atmospheric keyboards. The vibe I’m getting so far from the songs is a sense of mystical atmosphere or a soundtrack to an adventure film. This song has yet another memorable hook and is really a great tune which builds tremendous melodies that will leave you stunned.
6. Wander. Starts off with Khan singing melancholy lines that ring the Ballad alarm bells very loudly. As we all know, Kamelot are ballad merchants so this is expected. I’m waiting for some kind of power chords to come in and they did arrive right on cue for the chorus! Very predictable structure for this ballad but it is actually sung with great emotion by Khan. A solo surfaces once again right on cue before the chorus returns as the song plays out to its conclusion. This is probably the best ballad that Kamelot have ever recorded.
7.Interlude II Omen. Thunder claps and strings with some quiet atmospheres build into the next song.
8. Descent of the archangel. Builds a slow atmosphere but I’m expecting fast riffs to surface and here they are right on cue once again right on cue! But wait they slowed it down again for the verse to allow more atmosphere to build. Cool and unpredictable for once, well they through me anyway!. But the fast riffs return for the chorus and its once again a corker as if you would expect anything else. Some nice shred solos from Youngblood to wrap it all up in a nice bundle. Can’t really choose a best song so far as the quality is so high up to now. A great song indeed!
9. interlude III at the banquet. Literally sounds like you are at a banquet in Kamelot and leads onto the next song.
10. A feast for the vain. Once again a fairly fast song but not really speeding. Its double bass but not to the max. The overall melody feel is once of majesty and joy. The song has some interesting parts that reflect a feast at a banquet really effectively. Once again a little unpredictable and very cool song.
11. On the coldest winter night. Acoustic start and Khan singing slowly over the top. Could possibly be a second ballad. Not unexpected maybe but could have done without being generally not a fan of ballads. Its well done though I wonder if I can predict a power chord anytime soon or will they hold back? Looks like they will hold back!! The only fully acoustic song on the whole album.
12. Lost and damned. With this title I’m expecting something heavy and fast. Lets see! Slow and atmospheric piano start with steady drum beats and finally a power chord invades the air before the main riff proper starts and we’re off on a semi-fast ride before again it slows down?? Hey I was not expecting this and then accordion again. Luca’s influence is obviously wearing off on these guys. Soon the faster riffs are back for the chorus and once again its very majestic sounding with an awesome hook by Khan. One of the best songs on the album due to its unpredictable twists and turns. This will be a live killer!!
13. Helena’s Theme. Someone walking in a garden full of singing birds with some keys for atmosphere. A girl starts singing some classically influenced melodies. Orchestration adds and builds mystical atmosphere
14. Interlude IV Dawn. Carries on from before with a male vice proclaims some words about Helena and leads on to the next song.
15. The morning after. A slow and heavy melodic riff starts off and then lays off to allow Khan to sing his epic melodies and then returns to join him for the chorus. It was about time to have a slow but heavy and melodic song and here they delivered it before they ran out of space. The guitar melodies are once again very majestic and have that air of mysticism that is so reminiscent of all Kamelot’s work. This song is great and builds to faster mid section and slows back down for the conclusion with awesome catchy riffs and vocals that will please all Melodic power metal fans.
16. III ways to Epica. The final and longest track at 6:16 is here and I’m expecting to be wowed here. Lets hope they finish on a high! Starts off fairly mid tempo but with great riffs appearing here there and everywhere. Vocals start with cool bouncy riffs in the background. Some female vox accompany Khan with his melodies and are actually very cool and fitting. The keys are majestic but the star of the show is Mr Khan!! A slower mid section with riffs that chug along melodically before ripping solos take over and then suddenly halt allowing atmosphere to have its place in the soundscape. The best riffs were kept for last it seems. This song is chock full of headbangers and glorious melodies that will leave you in awe.

Final Thought:
If you are a Kamelot fan from before then this will blow you clean out of the water. Its their best album yet!! Best music and especially the best vocals yet from Khan!
If you hate Kamelot then give this a try and if you still hate them at least you have great trade bait!
If you neither hated nor liked Kamelot then if this don’t turn you into a huge fan overnight then nothing will.
Rating 9/10
This might end up being better than Luca’s album with time, I don’t know yet. But for me this album is a stone cold 2003 top 10er!

Thanks for the track by track rundown, I am huge fan of Khan and to a lesser extent Kamelot (having been a huuuuge Conception fan)
I am hoping that this disc is better than the Fourth Legacy (which I think is their best) I was disappointed with KARMA

Cheers;)

If one is looking for an epic, powerful, orchestral, haunting (enough adjectives yet?) power metal album, look no further. Epica is fucking great. Alike to an above post, my favorite was the fourth legacy (I was also dissapointed by Karma), but this album is right up there songwise. Production-wise though, it's a hell of a lot better. The orchestrations are crisper and better placed, as well as used more often. Khan's vocals are very good as well, I wouldn't say any different than Karma, but his choice of melodies and his control of breath is nearly ideal.

ANYONE who is a fan of stratovarius, sonata arctica, or other slightly wimpy power metal bands, I will be surprised if you don't enjoy Epica, as it's of the same breed, but of much more thoughtful and passionate caliber.

Just my opinion, of course.

PS--I STILL THINK THAT THE BAND SHOULD HAVE CHOSEN A DIFFERENT NAME WHEN THEY FIRST BEGAN. Though their older stuff was medieval-tinged, they've seemed to have lost those thematics on this album, and the name 'kamelot' somewhat traps them in that genre a bit.