Karaoke Thread

BlackMetalWhiteGuy

Manly Man!
Apr 15, 2007
Cooperstown and Oswego, NY
My school hosts a karaoke night every other Thursday and I usually go with my friends, because we're music nerds. Tonight was special though, because they held a competition to be entered into the karaoke finals at the end of the year and I entered as a joke, because I have virtually no vocal training. Well, I won anyway because the judging is done based upon crowd response (in decibels) rather than actual singing ability. Clearly I still have more work to do on following pitch, but my voice actually sounds better than I thought it would, considering that I've been sick for the past week and a half.

The girls at the end are laughing because one of the other contestants ran up behind me and started grinding on me while I was singing and then I turned around and started dancing back on the instrumental break.

Now that I've started this, please feel encouraged to post clips of yourself or friends singing. Genre and vocal style don't matter. I also don't care if you're singing a cover with your band, have a recording from an actual karaoke event, or are just recording yourself at the computer. Just please don't spam the thread with your originals.

How do you go about recording/downloading/posting vocals/music?
I'd like to record myself over a riff, just so I can see how bad my vocals really are...but I have no idea how to do that.
I had my friends record my performance on my digital camera and then I used my soundcard's "What U Hear" feature to record the video playback.

Alternatively, you can just play a song and record yourself singing along with either a standard mic, or the one built into your webcam.

You can then edit and convert the recording to mp3 with Audacity or probably a lot of other free programs.

Next, register for tindeck.com and they will host your mp3s at no charge.

EDIT: beaten :(

I think I'm going to try to do that next time I'm alone at home. I want to try to do a Devourment song. I think I sound pretty decent doing BDM vocals... but then again William Hung thought he did a good Ricky Martin.