Katatonia inspired song mix practice

Hey,

I played a Jackson DK2m through a POD XT for the guitars and used Steven Slate Drums. I know I sound like a broken record saying that, considering that so many people use those two things on their recordings here.

I mixed it with headphones - should have used monitors - which could be one problem. I'll have a go at doing what you've said.

Hrm. I liked the first one better. The new one just sounds scooped.

That's what I was thinking.

There's something about the drums which sound so bland/dry though. I can't quite put my finger on it. I programmed them, so that could be something that's taking the life out of them. Also, it's just a drum loop, but I guess that shouldn't make a difference to how they sound in the song. I've tried many different kits and samples, but for some reason I've not quite managed to get a sound that blows me away yet. It's probably just me, not the software. Any suggestions?

Hey Guys!!

Fucking awesome riff like Katatonia´s style !!! I like a lot, congrats! :)

Yes!, I think the first clip is better than second one. The drums sounds with little "punch", you try parallel compresion?, or duplicate tracks....try differents settings in compressors can be help you to match more punch sound!

That's what I was thinking.

There's something about the drums which sound so bland/dry though. I can't quite put my finger on it. I programmed them, so that could be something that's taking the life out of them. Also, it's just a drum loop, but I guess that shouldn't make a difference to how they sound in the song. I've tried many different kits and samples, but for some reason I've not quite managed to get a sound that blows me away yet. It's probably just me, not the software. Any suggestions?

I can't listen now, but for me, the reason why drums sounds "dry" isn't because it's programmed... but because it's not processed enough...

And when you listen Katatonia drums, the processing done on it is very transparent and the drums sounds really dry too... so for me it's not a real problem...

Try to search for "DEADSTAR" on this forum, he has done very very good covers of Katatonia and he matched the whole sound perfectly... then ask him how he does it.

I've listened it and drums sounds very fake... i don't know what do you use for drums but kick and snare sounds very unreal...

before searching to have punch on it i would do something with the tone itself.

What's your drum soft ?

Change your snare and kick samples, try to play with compression and eq and velocities.

And after that, use samples on this forum to make the drum sound bigger.

I'm not a pro but it's what i think listening to your song...

thx kaamosprod for the kind words :) Last Fair Deal Gone Down has a completely different flavour compared to the following albums (to tell the truth each Katatonia album has a different production which makes all of them unique).

@illuminatingsun
Now if u're after LFDGD sound i'd probably change samples (Superior would fit better for the style) and try some parallel compression especially on the amb mics and OH's. If u only have Slate i don't know since the samples should be pre-processed and i doubt any kind of post-process will be of any help (ask in Slate Forum maybe?).

@kaamosprod that artwork in ur myspace is amazing! :headbang: did u make that?

I've made several artworks for bands in france... but not this one.

i didn't want to be involved in the artwork nor production for the second album, because its too stress, for the first one, i did everything and i didn't want do di it now.

so design is from strychneen studio, a friend of mine, prices are very competitive. like 300 € i think for a 12 pages booklet.

Hey,

I've tried going through quite a lot of the Steven Slate drum samples, but they don't seem to fit very well with the other instruments. Though it could just be my inability to get a good sound.

@Deadstar
I have the LE version of SSD so I'm quite limited in what I have. I have EZDrummer somewhere so I might crossgrade to Superior Drummer 2.0. As much as I like the sound of SSD for some applications, the Toontrack drum samples might be more flexible in terms of post-processing, if I'm understanding correctly.

Guitars sound weird man and just don't seem to totally fit the mix. Try retracking or something