Katatonia live, does jonas sings well?

Luann

Apr 5, 2008
Argentina
I really like their music, I think that the songs in studio sound awesome, but every youtube I saw of them live, I can't stand how bad jonas sings, a lot of out of tune notes, to me is clear that they work a lot on his voice when they record.
On the dvds he sings well, but that isn't a good reference.
Am I crazy or what?

I really like their music, I think that the songs in studio sound awesome, but every youtube I saw of them live, I can't stand how bad jonas sings, a lot of out of tune notes, to me is clear that they work a lot on his voice when they record.
On the dvds he sings well, but that isn't a good reference.
Am I crazy or what?

He has his off days like every other vocalist. I have some bootlegs and he sings brilliantly on them and then i have a few others where he isn't so good.

i saw katatonia last year... his voice was cracking, he missed a lot of the notes, and he forgot the lyrics at one point. i guess it was just a bad day for him.

A lot of it depends on when you catch a band on tour, too. Towards the end of a long tour, the vocals can get kinda rough. Plus, constant travelling (air travel especially) can wreak havoc on your voice, not to mention the fact that you're exposed to more risk of colds & illness which can obviously also shoot your voice to shit.

He can be off occasionally but all in all I think he performs well. Many of their tunes aren't exactly perfect for live gigs and I'm impressed how good the result turns out for the whole band. The gigs on the SwedenRock boat and Mellotronen boat are among the best I've seen for sure. You have to keep in mind that Katatonia is my absolute favourite band though.

Like others said it depends. The first US tour they were amazing, and had lots of energy from the crowd. The second tour the sound guy was the worst I've heard besides there being a lot of technical issues on the venues behalf, and the energy wasn't there so the band played pretty poorly, which is to be expected.

In CT, they got switched to a smaller venue within the same building because Chevelle ended up playing there that night. I think it was for the better, since this enabled them to play in a super small place. I thought that they all played very well.