Jonas' vocals..

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
So, I've never had any trouble singing along to Katatonia's songs. I can reach all the notes in Jonas' range, but when trying to sing along to Viva Emptiness I've met a strange problem - how the fuck does Jonas change notes so quickly?

For example on the lied of "I trusted you, you lied" of Ghost Of The Sun and the "too"'s in the chorus of evidence.. I just can't do it, and it's really annoying me :p

Any suggestions as to how I can learn? :) Is anyone else having the same problem? :err: or am I the only person that sings along? :cool:

Russell said:
So, I've never had any trouble singing along to Katatonia's songs. I can reach all the notes in Jonas' range, but when trying to sing along to Viva Emptiness I've met a strange problem - how the fuck does Jonas change notes so quickly?

For example on the lied of "I trusted you, you lied" of Ghost Of The Sun and the "too"'s in the chorus of evidence.. I just can't do it, and it's really annoying me :p

Any suggestions as to how I can learn? :) Is anyone else having the same problem? :err: or am I the only person that sings along? :cool:

Hey Russell
It's not a matter of thinking about how Jonas did that. Just do it without thinking and let the harmony flow. After a few attempts you'll have the key to this technique.

Markus B. said:
Hey Russell
It's not a matter of thinking about how Jonas did that. Just do it without thinking and let the harmony flow. After a few attempts you'll have the key to this technique.

Cool, cheers! :D I'll go off and try, I still think it somewhat unlikely I'll master it without a lot of practice tho ;)

Russell said:
Cool, cheers! :D I'll go off and try, I still think it somewhat unlikely I'll master it without a lot of practice tho ;)

I'm sure you'll do it! A bit more confidence please. :headbang:
You know, one of Jonas' favourite bands is Tool and when you listen to their vocalist's vocal harmonies, everything should be clear. Jonas surely had a long time to practise though I guess it has become a more or less unconscious or even natural vocal technique.

haven't heard viva yet. :ill:
But are you shure that you can sing the 2nd voice in "We must Bury you" ? It's so damn high!! I can only reach it with me headvoice or what it's called.
CDN, not bad. ;)

WHERE CAN THIS BE DOWNLOADED?!?

I still remember the 'Teargas' live clip fondly, which was from the same gig. Actually, someone must have the whole gig on tape, but I haven't managed to track down that person. Everybody claims that he got the video from someone who previously got it from someone else and so forth. It's a disgrace.

I appreciate any useful information.

Unicorn said:
haven't heard viva yet. :ill:
But are you shure that you can sing the 2nd voice in "We must Bury you" ? It's so damn high!! I can only reach it with me headvoice or what it's called.
CDN, not bad. ;)
No problems, my range is actually pretty decent.. I have no trouble singing along with the lowest parts of Type O Negative, I can sing relatively high without going falsetto and when I go into falsetto I can reach all but King Diamond's very highest squeels ;)

No, I've realised what my problem is.. I have no trouble singing along with the parts when Jonas is doing them, but as soon as I try and do it on my own, instead of singing the three or four notes my voice just goes up and then down in the same tune, but without the sustain on the notes that need to be emphasised :zombie: If you get what I'm saying ;)