Viva Emptiness (again)

Actually, when I look back on LFDGD, I tend to feel that most of it lost much of its strength with time (the only exception being "Chrome"). As for Viva, I don't seem to find it (at least the three promo songs) all that similar to LFDGD.

Onan:
So you like Viva* more than LFDGD?

For me, LFDGD is quite a like the (most?) well-known band in Sweden; Kent. Simple stuff, yet very nice and beautiful. Katatonia is like the "rough" side of the same coin.

On LFDGD I do like "Chrome" and "Teargas" the most. I think the last mentioned is my favorite track on that album. (I guess I'm just a sucker for both fucking up relationships and hearing about other's going to hell?! *haha*)

Btw, funny that your screenname is "onan" ;)
Clue; "foreskin"! :D

Originally posted by Lunatic_Fringe
There were two fucks in LFDG and two fucks in Tonights Decision... And I think one from Discouraged Ones... Cheez doritos are fuckin good...

I was taken aback by the excessive profanity (by metal standards anyway) in Ghost Of The Sun and Criminals, but it's only a minor distraction...

I do not like profanity in music. It's a crutch for the uncreative and uninspired. A much greater degree of anger or hate (or whatever the desired outcome) can be conveyed through more sophisticated diction.

I believe some people know how to swear, while others do not. Some people are just good at it :) It's timing and context I suppose. People who swear all the time will not be taken as seriously when they're mad or trying to make a point to an idiot, while the person who doesn't do it often is usually given immediate attention as soon as they do swear.

I think the same applies to music, although not in exactly the same way. I would never say that a vocalist (or lyric writer) who swears is being "unsophisticated"; it's like automatically assuming s/he is a moron because they swear, whether they do it very little or a lot. Swearing does not imply a lack of intelligence, nor a lack in ability to express one's feelings properly. Language, or should I say words, are created arbitrarily, the use of it however, the logic or the grammar, is not as arbitrary (perhaps not at all). So, the only unsophisticated vocalist or whatever who swears is the one who uses it ungrammatically. You could say that "fuck it" could easily be replaced with "forget it", but it works both ways, so neither is more "intelligent" than the other, really.

Originally posted by Demonspell
I was taken aback by the excessive profanity (by metal standards anyway) in Ghost Of The Sun and Criminals, but it's only a minor distraction...

Maybe you were distracted because Jonas doesn't tend to use profanity very much in the music? So, when he does, it grabs your attention?

EvilGenius:
Don't be so harsh - they are SWEDISH after all, we forest-hooligans are pretty under-developed when it comes to language! ;)

Lykorian:
I don't find the production to be weak at all. What do you base this on
:confused:

About Skogsberg, listen to how At the Gates sounded when he worked with 'em, and then compare it to the recordings with the Fredman boys...

"Yeah, Skogsberg is the best". :lol:

Bad production?? Please, justify that judgment, and in your consideration of it, think of the fact that you're hearing it from your computer...

And you wouldn't think a drill sergeant jumping down your throat with all the profnity in the world would be childish... you'd probably poop your panties.

You mean a DLILL SAAALGENT now, don't you me EvilGenius?! :D

But really... the production isn't bad?!
Get a proper soundsystem, eh fonzie (aka Lykorian)?! :lol:

It's a little funny how there's many threads on the Katatonia board about profanity...too elitist stuff guys. Metal is SUPPOSED to include profanity.
Also the profanity in Katatonia songs just describes the often sharp anger pretty well I think.

i had downloaded the 3 song promo yesterday and really enjoy criminals.

i also aquired the full album last night, and it sounds good. I don't really have a favorite song yet, but i'm enjoying it.

i'm looking forward to buying the album when it comes out

frog said:
i'm looking forward to buying the album when it comes out

I thought you were one of the members of the evil axis of piracy,
who only download the music and never buys the albums...

:D

Demonspell said:

You're kidding me right? Excessive? There's only three swear words on the whole damn album! By metal standards? There has always been swearing in metal, and a lot more gratuitous than the three words on the Katatonia album, all of which work very well.

The reactions of some of the people on this forum to three fucking swear words is unbelievable, are you all fucking pussies or something?

Hellion said:
You're kidding me right? Excessive? There's only three swear words on the whole damn album! By metal standards? There has always been swearing in metal, and a lot more gratuitous than the three words on the Katatonia album, all of which work very well.

The reactions of some of the people on this forum to three fucking swear words is unbelievable, are you all fucking pussies or something?

I was beginning to think that too...maybe these guys should check out Slayer sometime and think twice when listening to Criminals or Ghost Of The Sun.

Hellion said:

Are you counting unique words here, or do they count if they are repeated?! If it is the last, you'll end up with a hell lot more than THREE!
:D

...and why use "pussy" as a bad word?! hehe
It's sooo goooood!!!! :p
(Never call thy nookie bad names! ;))