Viva Emptiness (again)

Gronke

Salt Sill
Oct 18, 2002
Sverige
I got a promo-sampler ep *phew* of Katatonia's "Viva Emptiness" album containing;

1. Ghost of the Sun
2. Criminals
3. Evidence

I must say it was quite different from their other releases, my spontaneous comment was "Linkin Park goes doom". Okay, it's not NU-metal, don't worry (if you now do), but it still has the same kind of catchy melodies and strong choruses as earlier mentioned band (and others), but a degree (several) darker.
:devil:
One thing that kind of annoyed me is Jonas Renske's attempt to "sound american" :Smokin: when his swedish accent shines through so clear. Oh well... I just hope that this "misstake" won't be repeated in a larger scale in the future. :err:

My favorite track is definitely "Ghost of the Sun" so far. On the track "Evidance" Renske sound quite a lot like a certain J. Hetfield in the chorus. I think you'd have the same view hearing it.

What are your views? :confused: I feel positive.

/ H

My favorite is still Ghost of the Sun!!! The chorus is so simple, yet so very nice!!! Quite the adrenaline rush!!!!! :headbang:

I hope they get it to ginza.se too, they only have Dance Of December Souls and Last Fair Deal Gone Down, so the selection sucks, not that I care, I have everything else anyway, but still...

I wouldn't say "Linkin Park goes doom", more like "BWP-Opeth goes nu-metal".

I feel that these songs lost that special "aura" Katatonia used to have up until now. Not just melancholia, but also a sense of despair, passive acceptance of everything that is wrong, not wanting, wishing, or being able to fight. In this sampler, it seems as if Katatonia turned "angry", they're still melancholic, but no longer passive. "Evidence" (despite its mtv2 leanings) is the only song that retains some of that old feeling.

Originally posted by Onan

I feel that these songs lost that special "aura" Katatonia used to have up until now. Not just melancholia, but also a sense of despair, passive acceptance of everything that is wrong, not wanting, wishing, or being able to fight. In this sampler, it seems as if Katatonia turned "angry", they're still melancholic, but no longer passive.

When everything is fucked up , don't you get depressed for a while then clear up your mind and react in a fit of anger and surival instinct ?
I believe it's some kind of natural reaction (evolution?) .

Hello Katatonics !!! :)
I've also got the songs, but in MP3, sh*t I almost post the address before reading the the first thread that talks about the Legal/Ilegal Mp3, so sorry, I respect the band, why did I downloaded the songs??, because I don't want to wait one year to buy the Album, like passed to me with Tonight's Decision, come on Peaceville South America also exists!!!! :mad:
why century media and Nuclear B. albums are here in the right moment??

Sorry I thought that page was official :cry: so you only have to wait a little month :p, hope I don´t have to wait a year :eek:

Up the Katatonia !!!

I can see what people are saying with the angry thing. But I like it. I'm sort of a fanboy at this point though.. DO saved my life.. eternal gratitude.

Onan; Didn't you say the exact same thing as I?! haha :D

Don't hold your breath and don't breathe to loud! :cry:

Chrome Life, glad to see you got the promo, ignore my PM then :D

This album is going to annihilate the world when it comes out, it's so fucking brilliant. IMO far better then the latest Opeth release "Deliverance". Im floored by its awesomeness. HEADLINING AMERICAN TOUR ANDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Originally posted by cedarbreed
When everything is fucked up , don't you get depressed for a while then clear up your mind and react in a fit of anger and surival instinct ?
I believe it's some kind of natural reaction (evolution?) .
No, I don't. Maybe they do, but if that's the case, why did it take them several years to react that way? :)

The reactions ive seen so far have completely suprised me, I dont know how so many of you can like LFDGD and not adore Viva? V.E. is such a dramatic improvement, and is full of riffs and melodies that far surpass any on LFD. Im really picky when it comes to music, and all I have to say is, this album will probablly surpass Brave Muder Day as my all time favorite Kata album. Its too early to say now, but my initial feeling is that it will.

Thorns of Sorrow; It's kind of like the prev. release, just heavier and even more "to the point". If people who like lfdgd don't like this one I can't see why.

(I still stick to what I wrote about "Linkin Park"! :D )

Dismal; Don't be a fuckeerrrrrrrrrrrr :D

...I wonder what the new songs are about (any special person / event and if there is a "theme" on Viva* :confused: