We Must Bury You

katatonic_fear

God of Apathy
Dec 4, 2004
Colorado
Of course I'm a huge Katatonia fan, but there are two tiny details in their last two albums that bug the crap out of me.

The first being the vocals in "We Must Bury You". This is a great song, but it seems like Jonas is trying to hit some notes that he's not supposed to. They're very, um, not his style.

The second thing being the background vocals done by Daniel Liljekvist in the opening track to Viva Emptiness. They are in the chorus, and again, they just don't fit in with Katatonia...

Have these things ever bothered anyone else?

Never bothered me.

Jonas attempting notes that "he's not supposed to"...well, he can do whatever he feels like, he's the singer. He's the one the determines his style.

And the backing vocals fit fine in my opinion.

"We Must Bury You" is pretty much the weakest track on LFDGD imo. The verses are all good but the chorus feels off compared to the rest of the song.
And "Ghost of The Sun" is one of my least favourite songs on Viva Emptiness. There's just some slight hints of angst which I don't like in that song.

I think the high notes in We must bury you sounds ok, though i doubt he could pull it off live. And the screaming in Ghost of the sun is just perfect!

katatonic_fear said:
Precisely.

I agree. We must bury you is a low point but only because the rest are at such a high point. Of course the lyrics "we were kicking you in the head. we tried to hang you from a tree. we didnt stop until you were dead." arent my favorites on the album but I think most people take them far to literaly and dont stop to think about it in more than a two dimensional way. As for ghost of the sun? I think its utter brilliance. But I dont think viva emptiness's style is katatonia's best work. The anger shown in the song is well done though.

While it will never be my favorite on the album, I don't think We Must Bury You is bad at all, and the chorus is different from anything else they've done. As for the screams on Ghost, they add to the feelings of anger and betrayal the song has and therefore work.

Ghost of the Sun is a fantastic song, I just find the background screams to be sorta un-Katatonia-ish. I also like everything about We Must Bury You, it's just that those high vocals seem a little to forced and out of place. For those who think I hate the songs altogether, that is not the case. Both songs are great, just those little parts...Besides, those things are the only thing about Katatonia I've ever had complaints with, other than the fact they still haven't put out a DVD!!!!!!!!

I'm not huge into 'We must Bury You' ... 'Ghost of the Sun' on the other hand is a good song, the screams are done sparingly but effectively and it's a great <short> album opener!

"...My lips are dry you gave me drugs to try
Hold me when I die
The sky has frozen to a wall
We die we all..."