Katatonia with Mikael of Opeth ???

Elrickh

Sep 17, 2003
Strasbourg - France
www.chuul.fr.st
Hello guys,

Maybe someone could help me...
I just want to know on which Katatonia's cd Mikael Akerfeld of Opeth sing ???
I think he sing on "Sounds of decay & "Brave murder day" ??? I want also to know if he is the only singer on these cd and if he sing on all the titles ???

Furthermore, are the Katatonia's cd good before "Discouraged one" ???

Thanks for your help

Elrickh

Yeah Mikael sings on Brave Murder Day and Sounds Of Decay,Renkse on the rest.

Personally,I don't like Brave Murder Day at all,haven't heard the rest of the stuff before Discouraged Ones yet. Most of the board loves the album though...

And I have a feeling that Renkse sings some song on Brave Murder Day too that doesn't feature growling,but someone who knows better should confirm that.

Renkse sings on "Day" from Brave Murder Day, plus the clean parts of "Rainroom" and "Endtime". All growls are by Åkerfeldt.

Brave Murder Day is godly. I'm not even going to try and describe it further with words because any attempt will be futile. Just fucking buy it already.

Mikeal Åkerfeldt: (in detail)
-Foremost, he is Electric & acoustic guitars AND lead vocals for Opeth
-Guest vocals and guitar solo on Edge of Sanity's "Crimson."
-Lead vocals on Katatonia's "Brave Murder Day."
-Lead vocals on Katatonia's "Sounds of Decay."
-Helped write and co-produce the vocal lines for Katatonia's "Discouraged Ones."
-Contributed lyrics "Forever Together Forever" for Edge of Sanity's "Infernal."
-Formed a band called 'Steel' with Dan Swanö, Peter Lindgren and Anders Nordin.
-Formed a soloproject called "Sörskogen"
-Formed a new side-project called BLOODBATH with Dan Swanö on drums, Jonas Renkse (Katatonia, October Tide) on bass, Anders Nyström (Katatonia, Diabolical Masquerade) on guitar and with Mikael on vocals.

insidethefall said:
Brave Murder day and the sounds of decay is vital to any person with quality taste in music, like the chap above said, it cannot be described, just experienced - buy it now!

I don't know why Sounds of Decay didn't impressed me as Brave Murder :ill:

about vocals who does the October Tide vocals ? Renske? it's really great as Brave Murder ones, don't remember :erk:

John Carvajal said:
I don't know why Sounds of Decay didn't impressed me as Brave Murder :ill:

about vocals who does the October Tide vocals ? Renske? it's really great as Brave Murder ones, don't remember :erk:
Renkse did the vocals on Rain Without End, which I think is his best deathy vocal performance outside of Jhva Elohim Meth: The Revival. However, Martin Hansen from A Canorous Quartet does vocals on Grey Dawn.
And as far as BMD and SOD goes, they are FUCKING BRILLIANT!!!!! I bought BMD shortly after it came out because a friend of mine knew that I loved Paradise Lost, especially Gothic and therefore suggested it to me. I cannot even tell you the amount of time that little disc spent in my player those years ago. And to think that now I recently discovered that ALL of the material on BMD was composed in the studio while they were recording makes that album all the more human, organic, and immensely worthwhile. And SOD is also just god. The breakdown riff that appears around the middle of that little ditty is one of Anders' best ever. All true fans of melancholic metal should own and KNOW those releases!!!!!

The Scourge said:
I recently discovered that ALL of the material on BMD was composed in the studio while they were recording makes that album all the more human, organic, and immensely worthwhile.
Not true. At least "12" must have been written before as it is an old song that first appeared on the WAR comp. and was originally called "Black Erotica."

Erik said:
Not true. At least "12" must have been written before as it is an old song that first appeared on the WAR comp. and was originally called "Black Erotica."
Well, I could be wrong I suppose, in which case I would be most embarassed. But as far as I knew from a couple of old interviews I read, all the material on BMD was composed in the studio. Following that frame of logic, I am sure that "12" was an idea in the studio as well, regardless if it is a different version of Black Erotica or not. Perhaps there are some other users here who could clear up this confusion?

The Scourge said:
Well, I could be wrong I suppose, in which case I would be most embarassed. But as far as I knew from a couple of old interviews I read, all the material on BMD was composed in the studio. Following that frame of logic, I am sure that "12" was an idea in the studio as well, regardless if it is a different version of Black Erotica or not. Perhaps there are some other users here who could clear up this confusion?
"Black Erotica" was recorded for the Wrong Again Recs. compilation in June 1994 (two years before BMD's release, and even before the release of "For Funerals to Come...") and is the exact same song as "12" excepting the line "black erotica" which was screamed somewhere in the original but not in "12", and an intro that was in "Black Erotica" but not in "12." That I know for absolutely certain. As far as the other tracks go, I'd be surprised if songs of such sublime quality were composed entirely in the studio, but I don't have any proof to the contrary. This is where we need Blakkheim to step in and resolve matters. ;)

yeah today it amazes me just as much as u guys, but we actually did write the whole album in the studio. about one and a half song each night, and then swanö would come wake us up in the morning and we'd record it. the decision to include 'black erotica' was made in the studio cuz we needed more material and i felt many good riffs were waysted on a song that wouldnt see the light more than shining on a compilation, so we gave it a new chance. i liked the old intro for it tho, i must have forgot record that...ehh?

Blakkheim said:
yeah today it amazes me just as much as u guys, but we actually did write the whole album in the studio. about one and a half song each night, and then swanö would come wake us up in the morning and we'd record it. the decision to include 'black erotica' was made in the studio cuz we needed more material and i felt many good riffs were waysted on a song that wouldnt see the light more than shining on a compilation, so we gave it a new chance. i liked the old intro for it tho, i must have forgot record that...ehh?
I like Black Erotica better, do you know the lyrics for Love Of The Swan?

Ah, so I guess that explains why I like "12" even though I don't find "Brave Murder Day" too impressive (a bit monotonous for me). I have the "Brave Murder Day/For Funerals To Come" combo CD. I think "For Funerals To Come" is fantastic. I love the insane vocals in "Funeral Wedding"! :headbang:

It's been about 4 months since my previous post in this thread and I'll just say that Brave Murder Day is up there with Tonight's Decision and Last Fair Deal Gone Down.