Kayo Dot in Chicago

yeah, i took tomorrow off (for kd and family reasons) and can leave early today. i know they'll have to get on the road to jake's tomorrow fairly early. i'm sure they'll ALL want to go up in the arch though! WEEE!!

and yeah, nick is crazy. he can be intimidating and intense, but he's a total crackup and a great guy to hang out with. glad you guys made it to the show paul. (paul hardly ever goes to shows. except for fleetwood mac.)

deadair said:
Yowie is great stuff... if you are into that kinda thing.

It's not even close to something I can listen to. It sounds like a band falling down the stairs. Too nutty for me. At the same time, I wouldn't show my dislike at the venue, in front of the band. I have respect for any band who plays live. Nick on the other hand "Just doesn't give a fuck." haha. Wild night indeed.

xfer said:
hahaha if your friend Nick was loud during Kayo Dot I can pretty much guarantee that Toby HATES him right now.

He enjoyed Kayo Dot. The only time he got loud during them was when he started to laugh at the Yowie poster. Then he got louder then the band, pointing and laughing. At least it was the end of Kayos set, and the heavier section started, so I'm pretty sure the band didn't hear him. They did see him walking out on the last band, making fun of them... Im sure they think we're all assholes. haha For the record, Larry and I are innocent.

You could actually hear a pin drop during Kayo Dots mellow sections. It was very cool actually. It created an amazing atmosphere in the club.

They opened their set with "The Antique", and closed with, uh, I dunno...Toby played about 6 notes on the clarinet at the end if that helps? In between, they played....nothing else. In fact, no one even noticed the break between the two songs (except for me I guess, and by then, the "start clapping" moment had sadly passed beyond recovery).

I counted 30 people standing and watching during Kayo Dot's set. Certainly there were others elsewhere in the building, and we clearly kicked Cleveland's ass, which had 5 paying audience members, according to Greg. I guess that's about what I expected for a show as bizarre as this one starting at 9 on a Wednesday night.

Not to be outdone, by Kayo Dot, Kabuki Mono followed with a single "song" in their set, which must have lasted 45 minutes. And I thought it was great, much better and more engaging than Yakuza (which is the alter-ego band of Kabuki Mono). I kept meaning to leave at some point, but never got around to it. Only 4 guys in this band, but Bruce Lamont was playing his array of saxophones to keep the "this is a fucked up show" quotient high. Oh yeah, and the white socks covering their heads didn't hurt either.

Sounds like I enjoyed Yowie a good bit more than Paul; they really know their math, and with only two guitars and drums (though one guitar sounded pretty slap-bassy), their sound stayed clear and sharp enough to not descend into chaos for me. Let's call 'em a mix between Dysrhythmia and DEP.

And Mouth of the Architect was cool too, they seemed to fit right into the niche between Isis and Kayo Dot.

there's lots of stuff out there that's vegan that you probably just don't think about: almost all asian food, lots of traditional italian stuff, lots of mexican stuff - the key is to simply put the cheese garnish on the side.

Most traditional italian is entirely vegetarian, just with a little effort you can make it vegan.

I would make dim sum's of all denominations, they are great vegan or not.