Keep it in the family

MetalSteff

New Metal Member
Apr 21, 2011
hey all!

I`m a long time Anthrax fan, but new on this board here.
Recently been listening to POT quite a lot.. and i have a question that you guys might know the answer to.

The song ''Keep it in the family'', what is it about exactly? has Anthrax ever talked about the song meaning?

I read the lyrics, but i was wondering if it was specific to a situation/event.

In a nutshell it's about racism, and how racist attitudes are very often "kept in the family" lines. If "mummy hated this and daddy hated that" etc.... Anthrax are saying that's no reason to be a racist yourself, and start thinking for yourself and forming your own "smarter" opinions.

Like I said, that's a nutshell take on it. Great song.

ah ok! thanks for the quick answer :)

English is not my first language, and i wasn`t too sure about the meaning of that one. I know they mention ''you separatists, say you want your own state'', which made me wonder if it was about a particular situation in the world.

Love the song btw. haha :kickass:

Well I remember reading somewhere that the song is based on the exact thing - some racial murder in New York or something like that.

For mine, KIITF was the best tune on TGO2E with Bush. That version rules. Both vocalists do a killer job on that song in their own way.

KIITF was actually my least fave tune on PoT in the early 90s when it came out, but it's been my fave song on the record now for years. Would love to see it back in the setlist again. Probably would if it wasn't so long!

I'm pretty sure it is about the Separatist movement in Quebec.

I actually thought about that at first, but the lyrics make no sense whatsoever if that was the case.
Québec`s separatist movement has been nothing close to violent in the last 30 years and there`s no race issue.

Maybe another separatist movement in the world, where race is more an issue.. which is what i was curious about. I was a bit surprised to hear it might have been a song about a racial murder in NY.. because the ''separatist'' thing doesn`t make much sense.

I actually thought about that at first, but the lyrics make no sense whatsoever if that was the case.
Québec`s separatist movement has been nothing close to violent in the last 30 years and there`s no race issue.

Maybe another separatist movement in the world, where race is more an issue.. which is what i was curious about. I was a bit surprised to hear it might have been a song about a racial murder in NY.. because the ''separatist'' thing doesn`t make much sense.

I was actually joking, but a lot of the lyrics do ring true.

For mine, KIITF was the best tune on TGO2E with Bush. That version rules. Both vocalists do a killer job on that song in their own way.

KIITF was actually my least fave tune on PoT in the early 90s when it came out, but it's been my fave song on the record now for years. Would love to see it back in the setlist again. Probably would if it wasn't so long!

i didnt really like it till i watched live noize dvd,heavy as fuck