Kemper and big producers

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
So...it seems that lot of big producers (Colin, Andy, Michael Wagener but also Audiohammer, Lasse,etc...) now use Kemper to record guitars, BUT...how is the procedure?
I mean...they find the right setup, they profile everything and they record the profiled signal?
If so, I can't get the usefullness of this, expecially for big names with lot of possibility in fact of micing and equipments. We all know that it's cool and very close to the real deal but there's still a difference (very little)....so why being anal in terms of preamps and everything and use something that's not the best you can get?
Maybe I'm wrong but I would like to know why everybody uses the kemper instead of the miced guitar rig for the whole recording (apart the convenience of having the session guitar sound saved just in case)

i guess it´s something like this:
You find the exact sound you want and record real amps....

if you need to re-record something or make overdubs use the kemper....

Or as a safe-proof device...as soon as you get the sound you "save it" in case someone fucks up and knocks off the mic stand XD

too many variables involved in getting a good tone out of a mic'ed up amp. better to get it where you want it and have that tone saved. reamping is also super easy with the kemper. believe me, the difference between kemper and the real thing is barely noticeable if at all:

Last edited by a moderator:
If so, I can't get the usefullness of this, expecially for big names with lot of possibility in fact of micing and equipments.

^^^ that's your answer.
having lot of cabs, mics and the knowledge to use them equals many great sounds - that you still have to set up -
and pretty much never can recreate...

Michael Wagner put it like this:
"Am I going to sell all my amps? Of course not. There are a million combinations that sound good, and are special to a particular track or song. Will I profile that combination used on that particular track? Yes, of course."

Then there is the added creative freedom to go quickly from clean to distorted sounds, for example.
Being able to take these (multi mic/multi cab) sounds on the road is another huge bonus.

and, as Franz Plasa pointed out: for the first time he's able double track his old (unique sounding) bassman amp in realtime, on one side the bassman, on the other a profile of it.

So kemper pays them for saying they used it.

The guy might be right.At least from a business point of view,it's a fantastic promotion,and many other companies have done the same,not just on the music business,but on almost everything else.

The guy might be right.At least from a business point of view,it's a fantastic promotion,and many other companies have done the same,not just on the music business,but on almost everything else.

no...he's wrong....I know the guys at audiohammer personally, and have for almost 10 years. I can promise you, atleast at THEIR studio, that is DEFINITELY not the case. They have done so many records in the last 2 years that the kemper has been on that hasn't even been publicized, so that basically blows that point out of the water right there. Trust me, NO ONE is paying them to say they used it. I would bet my last dollar thats the case with wagner, colin, and andy too. Just watch the video with andy. On that note, he EXPLAINS exactly why it's so useful in the video itself, just LISTEN to what he is saying. He seems exceptionally genuine in that video.

I'm very interested about the approach they use during the recording... I mean, they initially try a real setup and when they find the right one, they profile it....or they try immediately all the kemper preset they already did to find a good one?

I commented basically on the business point of view,and he is right.Of course the guys that you mention use the unit,and of course it is possible for many other producers to use it too.
But from a business point of view,it is a common strategy,because the only goal is profit.
For example,when i saw a famous metal band endorsed by Line6(they've also done promotional stuff for the company),the guitar player actually used a Dual Rectifier/Rectifier cab on stage.
So it's not impossible.

I'm very interested about the approach they use during the recording... I mean, they initially try a real setup and when they find the right one, they profile it....or they try immediately all the kemper preset they already did to find a good one?

Alittle but of both really. Honestly alot of that probably depends on the size of the budget, time etc. got alot of time and money? Spend tons if time finding your tone with real amps, cabs etc. when they find the sound they want on the record and that band happens to have a Kemper, the audio engineer may profile that sound, and give them the profile to use live or do whatever with. That engineer also has that "unique" tone and chain stored forever to revisit, tweak, Learn from Etc. it's an all around win win situation. Don't have a huge budget? That's okay, we've got tons of our own recording chains stored in this little box, lets find one and tweak it to your likings. It's an all around win/win again.gusrenteed most of these guys using it have their favorite amps, cabs, mics Etc profiled right from the get go.

Another great thing about the Kemper: true story..

A band was recording their record. They were really loving the sound of the 5153 micd up through a Mesa cab. Sounded great! They just thought, "hmmm, I wish this had more pick attack though for my preference, can't seem to get enough for what I want".... No problem... Profiled the tone, went into the pick attack parameter on the Kemper, turned it up a bit and voila.... Just what they wanted, and the tone used on the album.... Then given the profile to use live.... If people can't seem the amazingness in this box I don't know what to tell ya!!!