Kerrang: Master of Puppets

Mendel

Lag Arkane
Jun 11, 2005
The Netherlands
www.mendelb.com
So before the text i just want to know: does anybody know who produced and (or) Mixed this Album ?

ps: you can also hear 30 sec samples of every song but i can't find the link anymore.

KERRANG! SPECIAL!
3/21/2006 [ back ]

Eight of rock's hottest bands have contributed to a special re-recording of Metallica's "Master Of Puppets" in celebration of the twentieth anniversary of the classic album's release and the 25th anniversary of the magazine Kerrang! The CD will be given away free with Kerrang! issue 1102, which goes on sale April 5. Magazines with the special CD will be available in the usual spots outside of the UK- at your favorite record store or book store if they normally import Kerrang! or you can order it online through the Kerrang! site.
"Remastered" features exclusive recordings by Bullet For My Valentine, Trivium, Fightstar, Machine Head, Funeral For A Friend, Chimaira, Mastodon and Mendeed, with the sleeve notes for the album derived from a chat with Lars. "It's awesome to think that some of you guys weren't even born when we recorded "Master Of Puppets"!", laughed Lars. "When we started thinking about Kerrang! honoring "Master Of Puppets" with this tribute album, and saw the artwork and the line-up of bands we realized it was a big deal. We're honored that it's a record that's perceived as a milestone and a record that's been so inspiring to so many people, both fans and young bands like Trivium and Bullet For My Valentine. We're as excited to hear this as you guys are!"

For more info or to order a copy, visit www.kerrang.com.

Tracklist:
Machine Head - "Battery"
Trivium - "Master Of Puppets"
Mendeed - "The Thing That Should Not Be"
Bullet For My Valentine - "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)"
Chimaira - "Disposable Heroes"
Fightstar - "Leper Messiah"
Mastodon - "Orion"
Funeral For A Friend - "Damage, Inc."

I listenend to Trivium's 30 sec of master of puppets . . . and jezus . . i was soo good, cant wait till it get released !!!

I don't know... Metallica just owns those songs. Even people I like (Machine head, Mastadon) aren't coming close. :( At least it's not Limp Bizkit and Korn again.

jason and i did the master of puppets cover here at the studio. i think it came out pretty cool. i really went for a more classic guitar tone and came up with somethin different than what i normally go for, but equally cool i think. its a fun track.

i think its an interesting cd, kinda shows which bands have their own identity/stamp on things. I'm impressed with Flynns vocals actually, very old school MH.

Just listened to the clips - I don't get why the guy from FFAF is screaming when he normally sings almost everything AND the original is sung. What's the point, is he trying to sound mean or something? Fool.

I also find it hard to believe that Fight Star are good enough to play 'Leper Messiah' themselves - when I saw them live (don't ask) their drummer couldn't even play triplets.

Think I'll have to reserve judgement 'til I hear the whole thing.

Steve

The Trivium clip is the only one that seems to have the right "feel".

Machine head is ok, but hearing Battery tuned down to C# or whatever is a bit of a shock to the system. It's amazing they managed to keep it that tight.

Gee, I wonder why half of the clips don't get to the vocals. ;)

I'm curious to know if/how Mastodon pulled off the bass solo.

At least it won't be as bad as that "hardcore" tribute to GNR debacle a few years ago. That was more like a hardcore tribute to Autotune. (and a bad one at that)

MH-Battery: im quite pleased to hear how that sounded, though the snipet of the intro so sounds like In Flames
Trivium-MoP: If the vocals weren't so fuckin EMO i might like it a bit mroe
Mendeed-TTTSNB: not a big fan, sounds too fast and weak
Bullet for my valentine-Sanitarium: Clean vox dont do that song justice in the heavy sections
Chimaira-Disposable heros: somehow they make it sound too repetitive, might be the drums and the way they were mixed.
Fightstar-Leper messiah: Not too bad, also sounds like its just a few BPM too fast.
Mastodon-Orion: sounds weak
FFAF-Damge Inc.: Mix sounds decent, performance is no where near it.

Why did i coment on this so extensively? i use to be a tallica fan boy, and even today i dont think any band should try to cover them.