Key frequencies per instrument with eq screen grabs

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
I was just doing an overall EQ balance for a session I will be mixing soon.
I tend to go for the same frequencies on each instrument nearly all the time.
I'm sure you have all seen those charts with the frequency ranges of each instrument but it is really helpful knowing where the important punch, attack and unwanted frequencies are. I screen grabbed the EQ curves and compiled quick notes explaining why I EQ those frequencies.
This is all very source dependent but these are good starting points that should help increase clarity and reduce mud and clashes.
Another bonus is that reducing build ups at certain frequencies will gain you headroom leading to what will be perceived as a louder mix to the listener.
Really interested in hearing opinions on this.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2133088/Frequencies.pdf

Holy shit, do most people high pass their snares up to 200 hz? I do about 75 most of the time. This is really interesting though, thanks for compiling it!

Shit, you are right.
That was very particular to the mix I was doing.
Fixed.
Same link.

Is it weird that I almost always do the exact opposite of you and cut the guitar hi-mids significantly rather than applying a wide boost? I find that the presence that I get most of time in the 5k-9k region is way too harsh to extenuate. Although, I'm not really a fan of super bright and razor sharp high end to begin with, so perhaps it's just me.

Thanks a lot, I'm just trying a lot new ways to eq instruments so this might be really useful, I'll give it a shot for sure (obviously I'm not going to copy the exact numbers, but getting into the same ballpark to find the mud/offending stuff/whatever). You seem to cut lot more lows than I'm used to, but you always still come up with rad sounding mixes that still have lots of power and punch. I'll give it a shot and I'll probably report back here then what was the outcome for me.