Systematic Mixing Series #1: Poking Holes in High-Gain Guitars

This might not be the right thread to ask this question, but I don't want to create a thread for such a stupid question.
I understand you have to change frequencies to make it sound better in the mix. And I hear people saying "low pass at xxx, high pass at xxx, cut at xxx".

Question: I'm using cubase 5 and with the in-built eq I have "Parametric 1 & 2, High shelf 1, 2, 3 & 4 and low pass 1 & 2" are these just code names for high pass, cut etc? or is this some completely different stuff, and you're all using seperate EQ vst plugins?

It's nice reading something that notes many things I've noticed when mixing guitars and adds some new perspective on it :) thanks dude

This is probably a terrible question, but when you say 'filtering' what are you referring to? I'm completely new at this, if you haven't guessed.

Question: I'm using cubase 5 and with the in-built eq I have "Parametric 1 & 2, High shelf 1, 2, 3 & 4 and low pass 1 & 2" are these just code names for high pass, cut etc? or is this some completely different stuff, and you're all using seperate EQ vst plugins?

What? I'm no Cubase user but care to refine it a bit more? Somebody with cubase might be able to answer.

With 'filtering' I generally refer to either High Pass Filtering, Band Pass Filter or Low Pass Filtering. If you need the concepts explained, just look them up, should be easy to get 'proper' definitions.

I'm wondering, on the finished eBook, will it be worthwhile to have an introductory section that explains basic concepts like different types of EQ bands, filters etc.? I'm loosely touching on that stuff, but there is also a general tone in the document that assumes the reader has at least a rudimentary knowledge of audio processing. I wouldn't say the guide is for absolute beginners at this point (I'd generally recommend those people read something like 'Modern Recording Techniques') because to cover the basics is another book unto itself.

With 'filtering' I generally refer to either High Pass Filtering, Band Pass Filter or Low Pass Filtering. If you need the concepts explained, just look them up, should be easy to get 'proper' definitions.

I'm wondering, on the finished eBook, will it be worthwhile to have an introductory section that explains basic concepts like different types of EQ bands, filters etc.? I'm loosely touching on that stuff, but there is also a general tone in the document that assumes the reader has at least a rudimentary knowledge of audio processing. I wouldn't say the guide is for absolute beginners at this point (I'd generally recommend those people read something like 'Modern Recording Techniques') because to cover the basics is another book unto itself.

My opinion is yes. For n00bs, which this seems to be aimed at, it's the concepts AND the tech they struggle with.

I say no, and you pretty much said the same thing at the end of this post. Yeah it's aimed to beginners such as myself and many others on this forum, but to make it to absolute "what does Eq mean" beginners would make it take a different turn. If it's only a quick introduction that quickly explains everything I guess it would be fine if you're fine with spending the extra time on going over concepts that can be found at the click of a mouse, but I wouldn't do it

Amazing. what plugin eq is best for this task? tried the fab filter pro q. its nice. but feeld not agrresive enough