Systematic Mixing Series #0: Introduction & Glossary

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

This marks the introduction to a series of very comprehensive mixing tutorials that I'm going to write. They will go over a range of topics, divided chiefly by the instrument types you will encounter across the vast majority of rock and metal music. The tutorials will focus largely on rock & metal mixing, as these are presently the main areas I feel experienced and comfortable enough in to instruct others.

First off, you might wonder, why isn't this in the 'Production Tips' section? Well, simply because I want everybody to see this - not only the guys who are wondering how to extract room sound from SD2.0, or the ones puzzled as to why their Squier with 2 year old strings sounds muddy in drop G#, or the ones who might ask me why I haven't included a section on how to make their PODFarm presets sound universally awesome.

Secondly, why am I writing this at all? Well, it's mostly as an outlet during a period of intense mixing projects, in the hopes of both retaining my sanity, and also to share and document some of the ideas and techniques that have solidified during this process of intense work.

Third, I hope that in some small way I can perpetuate what I consider to be 'good engineering mindset' in an era where that ideal is being oppressively encroached on by shortcut methodologies and 'quick fixes'. I also largely owe my career to this board, and to the man behind it, as this is where it all started. So this will be my last dash to give back everything I've learned from here.

At the end of it all, I may compile the guide into an eBook of sorts, both as a document to others and a reference back for myself in case these ideas ever get diluted or forgotten.

So now... onto authoring #1: Poking Holes In Guitars

Glossary

#1: Poking Holes in High Gain Guitars

#2: In Soviet Russia, Drums Slam You

-----------------------------

The full version of these tutorials, along with many others is available in the Systematic Mixing Guide, available here: http://www.systematicproductions.com/mixing-guide.htm

Thanks man, I really appreciate it when people spend their hard earned spare time doing stuff like this.

Hey Ermz.

I still lurk quite a bit, but I don't post here very often these days - mostly because there are people (such as yourself) that know more than me about audio engineering so my knowledge often isn't worth sharing, as someone can share it better!

But your general posting and willingness to share what you have learned/discovered is fantastic so I look forward to reading the rest of the tutorials with interest. :)

Good to see you around again, Dan!

The drum tutorial is about 3/4 of the way through. It's.... immense. Has taken me half the day to write up so far. It will be a bit rough when first posted, but I will clean things up over time.

Hey, thanks for doing this.
I'd like to stick this, but I can't stick every single part...could you perhaps later compile this tutorial into something I can stick in the production forum?
just contact me when the last part has been posted

thanks