Systematic Mixing Series #1: Poking Holes in High-Gain Guitars

I like reading with video examples.

I've been low passing guitars around 7khz and it sounds great for light rock stuff. Never done it for anything heavier, tho...

Öwen;10052400 said:
Ermz have you ever tried really really extreme low passing?

I know you mentioned 7khz but I was scrounging around for mixing info and saw Dan Korneff, who works with Bendeth and I believe does most of his guitars, mention that he typically low passes at 5-6khz, I tried going as low as that and I can't say I miss any of the crap at all up there, although it does seem really extreme to be doing away with half your frequency spectrum.

It kind of makes sense - the typical guitar speaker will produce up to around 5 or 6khz (V30s go to 5khz, for instance), which implies the tone lies much lower in the frequency range. This may be extremely obvious, but I just realized it :lol:

Fuck me. That is a brilliant post. For me, as a noob, it explains things in a concise manner. It doesn't offer me instant noodle solutions but it gives me ideas as to where to begin.

Thank you.

I prefer reading to videos, videos are obnoxiously bothering and absolutely unusable to re-read small snippets of information, i would prefer a solid well formated pdf for printing / reading! And i would pay money for it because your 2 Systematic Mixing tutorials were a great help for me!

+1 billion, hate vid-only tutorials

a $15k Engl rig

@Morgan C : ???

details please

$5k rig woule make sense with their high-end stuff but $15k makes me wonder if there are diamonds in the knobs or something

@Ermz : thanks for making those badass guides. I enjoyed both the original posts AND the discussion/debate that ensued. If you took some time to defend your views it's great, but if on some other time you didn't out of laziness/lack of time it's fine also, i mean you just gave us a badass guide to read already, so anything beyond that is hugely appreciated for sure but is just pure bonus IMO !
(and i love bonusses ! :) )

I like both reading and videos for tutorials, but in this case i think your guide is a perfect read. Giving examples (how much dB and how much Q for this surgical EQ notch, etc) would be great, but those who want an actual demonstration of this should try these techniques by themselves ! That's the best way to learn.

I've used this guitar part of the guide several times, and thought it was a good idea to actually buy the thing now. Looking forward to having a good read, Mr. Ermz!