keyboard for beginners

Moonshield

Revenant
Nov 17, 2001
UK
I'm looking for a bit of guidance on getting started with keyboards. I'm looking for something to add some atmosphere to recorded music - nothing for live gigs, I'm not interested in that. I've decided that I'd really like to incorporate some keyboards, but I'm not sure where to start. I can play a keyboard fine, it's just getting to grips with MIDI and sequencers etc which is posing me problems.

Quite simply, I've read lots about the basics of MIDI and I think I grasp it, but I'm not 100% it's what I need. Perhaps part of me is a bit reluctant because it's something I've not used before, but I can't help but wonder if a simple synthesizer with a direct stereo/mono output would do the job fine - I'd just record things in the same way as I'd record a guitar, and then multi-track the sounds to get the polyphonic effect I'd be after.

But, if MIDI really is something wonderful which I'm going to want to use in the future anyway, then maybe I should bite the bullet and just learn to use it now. I've read that the Roland Juno-D or the Korg X50 would be good entry-level MIDI synthesizers. For those in the know, if I was to buy one of these keyboards, would I then be able to go straight into it and get recording? i.e, do they come with ALL of the appropriate software, including sequencing software? I currently record using Adobe Audition, and since MIDI doesn't actually output audio, I guess I wouldn't get very far using that software.

So, yeah. I'm confused. Anyone?

If you aren't going to perform live then you could save money by simply drawing in the notes into what ever program (Cubase, Sonar, Pro Logic etc.) you decide to use.
There are plenty VST plugins that can be obtained (easily for free if you don't feel like paying hundreds/thousands for samples) which can recreate orchestras/choirs/bass/drums etc pretty well. Going this way you don't need any hardware at all asides from a PC.

If you just want to play the keyboards not using a sequencer (playing all the parts live) you can just run the audio output (phones or L+R) to run into your recording gear. This could be done with any keyboard and you dont need MIDI just a keyboard with some good tones.

If you want to program your keyboard tracks you will need to use an app like Sonar or Cubase which supports sequencing. Going with apps like this will support the aforementioned VST plug-ins so you could get a basic midi controller and use your computer to generate the tones. While you dont need to spend as much for a instrument (MIDI controllers are cheaper than synths) you will need a MIDI interface and a decent sound card to go this route. Some of the M-Audio MIDI controllers work with USB so you dont need a physical MIDI Interface.

You won't regret getting into MIDI if your interested in recording, the possibilities are endless. There's a bit of a learning curve and all the options can seem overwhelming, but the best way to learn is to jump in. Start with a simple setup as mentioned above. Even a cheap pawn shop Casio or such with MIDI connectors will get you started, just make sure it's velocity sensitive).

You won't regret getting into MIDI if your interested in recording, the possibilities are endless. There's a bit of a learning curve and all the options can seem overwhelming, but the best way to learn is to jump in.

This is kind of what I was thinking. Right now, I reckon shreddy's spot on - I could get a keyboard and just use the quarter-inch outputs to record, and it would do exactly what I need it to, like I said in my first post. But if I'm looking ahead, and thinking about expandability, I reckon I should get into MIDI now and start working it all out.

tagradh - that's actually a good idea that I hadn't thought of, although I have to admit, I do quite like just playing the keyboard, so I think it would be good to have a physical set of keys, be it a standalone synthesizer or a controller.

Okay, I reckon that MIDI probably is the way to go, looking beyond just recordings for one song or album. The main question I have left then is about the software that the controllers I was looking at come with. I think I'm leaning towards the Roland Juno-D, which is velocity-sensitive. I just can't seem to find a straight answer as to whether or not it comes with sequencing software. It looks like it probably doesn't, as far as I can see. Are there any free sequencing programs out there? In fact, I should have a look through the stuff that came with my E-Mu soundcard, because there was a bunch of bundled software which I didn't think I'd need at first, might be something in there...

Many thanks folks, and if anyone has any wise words for MIDI newbies then fire away...

if anyone has any wise words for MIDI newbies then fire away...

Look for the magazine Computer Music, it's out of the UK so you shouldn't have any trouble finding it. It's mostly aimed at the electronica crowd, but the articles are good for anyone that is trying to learn more about sequencing and the DVD it comes with almost always has good stuff on it.