Keyboard starter suggestions?

trentdk

Sep 20, 2005
Charleston, SC, USA
I know a lot of the people that post here are in bands, or were in bands. Regardless, many of you know -a lot- about music :) That is why I thought of this board first when wondering where to begin on keyboard research.

I'm really interested in getting into playing a keyboard, and I was wondering if anyone of you would be so kind as to giving me a newbie run down at what all is involved. Maybe make a suggestion for a brand or model for a beginner whose serious about making some awesome sound.

I have always thought about this, but I just listened to the solo in Orphaned Land's "Norra El Norra", and it has prompted this action. :)

Thanks for any replies!

get private lessons and a cheap casio/yamaha... it wont make a difference the model at that end because the sound will be shitty, its more the lessons that are important

Yeah go with something cheap, that way if you end up not pursuing it further you didnt blow a bunch of dough...

man that song DOES rock.

I agree with these guys. Get a Yamaha or something no-frills. Functional, to get you going. Later on there's nicer Yamahas & Korg, etc...

Awesome, thats exactly what my plan was shaping up to be. Yamaha seems to have em from 99 - $5000, lol. Maybe start out with a $250ish yamaha, and if I like, find a cool Korg on eBay ;)

Thanks guys! :)

get yourself a used korg, preferably a classic pro workstation (you should be able to get one for cheap on ebay) or a karma. dont get anything else! once you figure out the basic theory of playing, the rest is cake. good luck :) -jonah

pyramazekeyboardist said:
get yourself a used korg, preferably a classic pro workstation (you should be able to get one for cheap on ebay) or a karma. dont get anything else! once you figure out the basic theory of playing, the rest is cake. good luck :) -jonah

I disagree. I think if you're just trying to see if you really want to take the plunge into keyboarding you should take some lessons with an instructor and buy a really cheap keyboard. If you decide it's what you really want to learn, then invest in some keyboard with weighted keys, whether that be a digital piano or a synth workstation, like most of Korg's 88-key models.

It's always easier to go from weighted keys to non-weighted, and practicing/learning on weighted keys will make you 10x the pianist that synth-action keys will.

maybe you don't realize the "success" rate of people that start playing keyboards, its even lower with guitar players. some people just can't hack it or lose motivation quickly, then they just have a pretty expensive synth as a decoration for their living room. And that basic theory and sight reading might come easy to some, but a lot of people just can't get the hang of it, think about all the guitar players that don't even bother with it. Unfortunately, unlike guitar, theory and/or sight reading are more necessary to be able to sound good and communicate to other musicians than with guitar. Plus I know many people have told me they can't get the hang of "two hands together". Not to be discouraging to the poster of this thread, its by no means impossible to get decent, and once you do it is very rewarding, but you definately should focus on getting some skills before investing in a higher priced synth. at least if he gets a cheap synth and loses interest, he will be inclined to just keep it as oppossed to sell it, so that maybe at a later time he might take it up again or pass it on to a friend or family member.

to pyramaze dude: I really enjoy your keyboard work on the new pyramaze album, and I am glad you have messed around with that amsfeedbacklead preset a bit from the previous album

Entropiastrife said:
maybe you don't realize the "success" rate of people that start playing keyboards, its even lower with guitar players. some people just can't hack it or lose motivation quickly, then they just have a pretty expensive synth as a decoration for their living room. And that basic theory and sight reading might come easy to some, but a lot of people just can't get the hang of it, think about all the guitar players that don't even bother with it. Unfortunately, unlike guitar, theory and/or sight reading are more necessary to be able to sound good and communicate to other musicians than with guitar. Plus I know many people have told me they can't get the hang of "two hands together". Not to be discouraging to the poster of this thread, its by no means impossible to get decent, and once you do it is very rewarding, but you definately should focus on getting some skills before investing in a higher priced synth. at least if he gets a cheap synth and loses interest, he will be inclined to just keep it as oppossed to sell it, so that maybe at a later time he might take it up again or pass it on to a friend or family member.

to pyramaze dude: I really enjoy your keyboard work on the new pyramaze album, and I am glad you have messed around with that amsfeedbacklead preset a bit from the previous album

PIRATE! I agree with above post.

Don't forget to check out local universities or community colleges for music instruction. Definately try to find an instructor who likes (or can tolerate) the kind of music you want to play. Make sure you get an experienced instructor too. Don't be afraid to ask for their credentials.

trentdk said:
Awesome, thats exactly what my plan was shaping up to be. Yamaha seems to have em from 99 - $5000, lol. Maybe start out with a $250ish yamaha, and if I like, find a cool Korg on eBay ;)

Thanks guys! :)

I'd go with an Yamaha PSR630... It's really cheap and has real good sound! It's not pro, but it has a VERY good sound for its price!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I probably will not plan on lessons unless I give up on myself. I've played brass instruments for some time, but whenever I dabbled on the piano, I felt as if I had a nack for it, (or I could just not know my suckiness, lol).

What is hilarious is that when I was looking around at different brands of keyboards/synths, I started checking band pages. Pyramaze was the first one I looked at, and was like "damn, this guy like Korg!". Only like 10mins after that:
get yourself a used korg, preferably a classic pro workstation (you should be able to get one for cheap on ebay) or a karma. dont get anything else! once you figure out the basic theory of playing, the rest is cake. good luck -jonah
Must.... resist... buying a.... Korg! lol
They're still $500ish starting on eBay, and I'm not ready to drop that much on this--yet. BUT, the second I realize "oh yah, this is me" I'll take your advice Jonah :worship:

Angrafan: did you see that model available anywhere? Seems like its a '97 model, but no where to be found. I wouldn't mind picking up something older.

Seriously though, you need to take lessons, or else you'll develop bad habits and playing will be no fun because your bad habits will prevent your from progressing as a player. Lessons from a good teacher are invaluable.

yeah, and trust me you don't need super expensive lessons from dr. zonderwitsklsia to get a good teacher and learn the basics, but it is very hard to make those first steps (especially in terms of encouragement to practice) without a teacher. just do some research and try and find a respectable teacher in your area, there are all kinds, from poor college music majors who still know there stuff, to rock guys who were in a cock rock band in the 80s that never quite made it, to plenty of others, and they can all be great teachers.

resist getting a good korg just yet, that way you also have motivation to practice and get better to "earn" it in a year or so. take care

Synths are the way to go!
and midi controller is a must have.

I'm a keyboard player (band with2 years - 1 EP) and i recommend a synth.
Check out the roland RS-70, in my opinion (i have one) is the cheapest professional solution. controls midi and habe USB port so you can forget complex interface.

what i use:
RS-70 (600€ - 800€)
"no brand" midi controller keyboard 3 Octaves (100€)
my laptop (very handy)

I agree with you guys when getting cheap lessons first. search someone (in a band maybe) that gives some lessons (i do it), it's the best way.
I did it and now, when i finish college (Informatic Enginieering) i'll go to conservatory :kickass:

I have not tried it yet (except for signing up), but you might consider checking this out...http://www.hearandplay.com/. Although it leans toward gospel tunes, it seems like you can get some free lessons. At least it might help you get started.

I've been playing keyboards in bands for over 20 yrs. Even a small Casio or Yamaha super cheap is enough to get you started. I have an old Korg DW5000 laying around that you might be interested in. PM me if you're still looking...

Thanks for the new replies :) Yah, after messing around with the new retail store yamahas, I've decided I'd rather mess around with a neat vintage synth :) I've been checking out eBay and sent KingsGene a PM

I recommend spending at least $2000 on a synth workstation, that way if it turns out you have absolutely no affinity for playing keys, you can still program rad dance mixes and make millions. :loco:

What you buy depends on a couple things. I myself play metal keyboards, and I'm finding myself using better sounds than a Korg Triton Extreme (that I used to own) on my Casio WK3500.

If you want weighted keys (in the end a far better choice for your technique on piano and strings, it's harder to solo though) you will be spending a good deal of money on your keyboard no matter what. Buy yourself a Korg.

Depending on the genre you're aiming to play, there are dozens of keyboards that specifically cater to specific styles that you can buy for less than 1000 dollars.

If you want just to figure out your ass from a hole in the ground at this point, I'd spend no more than 500 bucks on an unweighted keyboard that has some simple effects built in, but also the option the dick with those effects too. I assume you want to play metal: my Casio WK3500 serves we well in this regard, and it was 400 bucks new. Anybody else have this keyboard? The distortion organ is a godsend in studio for supporting guitars. A nice, healthy buzz.