Keyboards and the Metal genre

If you can add to the atmosphere then of course they can be metal. It can add a lot of feeling to the music. A well placed keyboard solo can add a sad feeling to a sorrowful peice of music. Also as a background instrument it works very well.

Noticable bands w. Keyboards:

Wintersun
Norther
Children of Bodom
Mors Principium Est
Ensiferum

Not exactly what they're known for but most of Painkiller has backing keys. Then there's Turbo, but that kind of an anti argument.:erk:

Ahhh yes, Painkiller. Painkiller and Touch of Evil are two of my absolute Priest favs.

I like Turbo too though

For metal I'd say the Korg Triton Extreme is probably the best out there but newer Yamaha's are pretty sick (and expensive!) or the Roland X* line is pretty cool looking and have some great sounds. Depends on what style you're playing I guess and what sounds you are looking for. Each have their own quirks and whatnot and some have better piano than others or strings, etc.... I use the Korg Triton Extreme 61. I wish I had a 76 for the extra keys due to sample usage. I suppose I could just get a ~$400 sampler but that's extra gear to buy, set up, integrate and use live vs pressing a key when needed. But it does allow you to use the entire keyboard (61) for the low end versus having to use the lower/upper octave for samples and downtune/uptune the remaining keys so the pitch is what you want for the songs you are playing.

I don't like the M3 from Korg, ugly and bulky for one, pricey for 2nd. If I could afford one I'd look at the Oasys but that only comes in 76 and 88 key models and the 88 key is like $8500! I can't justify that kind of cash for a keyboard. Maybe if we were making decent money on gigs (lots of) I'd consider it but for what I do and how often we play it isn't worth it. I am not that much into gear!

I love keyboards and metal. I can't ever imagine writing music without at least some keyboard parts, whether they're more atmospheric and 'background' parts, or more lead orientated parts, i just need keys.

I still like metal if it doesn't have keys though, its not like i sit there and listen to a band and think "right, does it have keys?... no. *turn off*" ..but i do think keys add so much more to music.

I have a friend who, before i showed him metal, said "i never realised keyboard players could play lead parts, i always saw them as people in the background"...