Keyboards - Please help!

President Mustaine

New Metal Member
Feb 2, 2007
Farnborough, UK
Ok, so i just wanna make it clear that i know very little about keyboards but i really want to learn. I searched and saw the thread about jannes lead sound but that didnt really help me.

I want to buy a new keyboard that will have all the different sounds in cob, or very similar.

What keyboard should i get? I was thinking Korg x50 but i dont really know.
Also, i here about the sounds being patches that you need to import. Where do you get these from?

Please please help me out here cause im completly in over my head.

Thanks in advance!

P.S If you can help me further please add me on msn - riksparksxxx@hotmail.com

To get the sounds, you're gonna need a sound module, more specifically, the Roland JV2080, Janne just uses the keyboard as a controller.

Thanks Ben!! :D

Well I have a Korg X5, and it has some pretty good sounds, but not the exact ones Janne uses. If you want COB sounds you're pretty much gonna need to get the Roland JV2080

Well I have a Korg X5, and it has some pretty good sounds, but not the exact ones Janne uses. If you want COB sounds you're pretty much gonna need to get the Roland JV2080

Ok. I might just get the X50 now and then the roland after i am a little better.

Do i need a specific keyboard amp or can i just put it through my pa speakers?

It seems to me that you are very new to the keyboards. Now, why would you want the exact sound as Janne? Obiously, you want to play his music. My keyboard, I put a little money into it, but I do not put more than neccisary. In my opinion, get yourself something good, but don't overdue yourself. I play a few cob songs time to time, and I use general midi. It may not be exact, but that doesn't comprimise the fun of it.

But, as everything, it's up to you.

Edit: You should be able to use it through your PA speakers

It seems to me that you are very new to the keyboards. Now, why would you want the exact sound as Janne? Obiously, you want to play his music. My keyboard, I put a little money into it, but I do not put more than neccisary. In my opinion, get yourself something good, but don't overdue yourself. I play a few cob songs time to time, and I use general midi. It may not be exact, but that doesn't comprimise the fun of it.

But, as everything, it's up to you.

Edit: You should be able to use it through your PA speakers

Yeah i know, i am kinda jumping in at the deep end. For now i am just going to buy the x50 and see how i go.

I mainly play guitar but just wanted a keyboard. Im not that new to keyboard playing because i have had a shitty one for a while, its just the equipment that im new to.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah i know, i am kinda jumping in at the deep end. For now i am just going to buy the x50 and see how i go.

I mainly play guitar but just wanted a keyboard. Im not that new to keyboard playing because i have had a shitty one for a while, its just the equipment that im new to.

Thanks for the help!

How about going to a music store and trying different sounds out?

you can also get the roland JV1010 module to get janne's sounds, its cheaper than the jv2080 but you get all the same sounds, just less expansion slots and its not as simple to edit sounds.

To learn keyboard you must be able to read sheet music first ! With notes on the staves and all :p That way you'll improve your playing and will be able to read music, not only play by ear (wich is a very good thing also don't get me wrong :p)

Just to let you know my first keyboard was Casio WK-3200, and still is, but I didn't know anything about keyboards back then, I just thought this one looks decent I'll take it... Now I'm getting the Korg X50, it's really cool. If I knew how to make computer music I would get Roland SH-201.

Hey Mustaine,

well, in my opinion it doesn't matter too much what you're getting, as long as it's good and you can modify the sounds in a lot of ways, this sounds quite broad, but for example, I use a korg triton LE and can get pretty close to most sounds Janne uses, of course they're not all the same, but that's just a matter of patience to get the stuff right. Of course you can get the same gear Janne has, but it's 100% likely he modified some sounds also to get the sounds he wants, so you'll end up having to do that anyway. Hope that helps for you :)

I remember a keyboard that my piano teacher lend to me, and i could do the whole shit in it ... change all sounds and place em in special order ... like strings for 1st, then harpsi and then lead ... i could customize all, putting up to 4 instrument in a single sound ... The big prob ... is that i dont remember the keyboard brand, but i know it wasnt Korg, Yamaha or Roland .. and i think it was like 1000 $. I'd like to own this keyboard. I'm sure with that there was a way to do the same lead as Janne uses.