Kick and Snare transients

olivertuck

Sinister Sound
Mar 8, 2013
When i am using a transient designer such as dominion or the stock cubase 5 envelope shaper, i am wanting to turn up the attack to add more punch to the drums.

How much do people typically boost the attack by? Because when i turn it up enough to start sounding good which is usually around the 5-7 mark, the output of the envelope plugin says it is clipping, even though i use a clipper after the envelope plugin so that on the meter of the track the kick is not actually clipping, im wondering whether the meter within the plugin telling me that the signal is clipping matters or whether i should just ignore it?

Because i can turn down the output gain by 4-5db so that the plugin says it isnt clipping anymore, but then my kick sounds weak again, should i be worried about what the envelope plugin is telling me or should i just ignore it seeing as the overall meter is saying its fine?

Definitely do not ignore it. Sounds like poor gain staging to me, at no point - I/P, O/P or plugin IO should levels be clipping. Can't you just adjust the envelope in SSD? Or reduce the level of the clip (region) prior to your plugin, that way you will have more headroom. Also check any pre or post compressor settings for anything that may be causing your transients to suffer.

there is nothing running before the transient designer besides EQ that is cutting OUT frequencies so i dont see why the sample on it own would be clipping in the first place? by clipping i mean the light on the output of dominion flashing red? which i was assuming meant it was clipping

Yes, you are overdriving the plugin. I'm not sure what DAW you are using but in Pro Tools you can reduce the level of the clip (Region / waveform). Failing this turn the O/P of the EQ down. You will have more room to process