Kids react to Iron Maiden

MikeyZ

Nothing but trouble.
Dec 26, 2015
Cypress, California
Board is slow this summer, so I thought I'd throw in another wrench just for fun.

This link is part of the "Kids React To" series on YouTube. Three weeks ago they released a new video on kids' reactions to Iron Maiden.

As a dad with a 10yo daughter, I've seen her react similarly to the kids here. She listens to Rush's Permanent Waves like it was released last week, and she likes her friend's dad's local hard-rock band, but so far there's no resonance with IM. Baby steps I guess.

Anyway, enjoy.

I don't know why I find these reaction videos so cringeworthy, especially the ones involving rock/metal music.

I think my twin 11yr. old boys are on the same ship as your girl. Did we twist them somehow?

I hope so. There are only a handful of standard bearers under forty, and someone's got to keep the ship afloat when we're gone.

Probably part innate and part twist if I had to guess. With my daughter it started with a disdain for (or at least an indifference to) modern pop (that's the innate part). She's still picky with my stuff, but she took to the Stones at age six like a duck to water after I tried five or six other bands previously that fell flat. Rush was an acquired taste, but she has the hang of them now. She may be turning the corner on Zeppelin. No movement on IM or Pink Floyd yet, though.

Young metal fans are out there. At Slidebar in Fullerton this past January the Maidens played an all-ages show, and there were several pre-teens, boys and girls, who were not only rocking out, they were singing the lyrics. And they knew the lyrics better than I did.

I would have too, thirty years ago.

But some time between then and now, I had kids of my own. And they have a funny way of changing your perspective.

Haha, I know. But even though I'm aware of it I can't help but be caught in that cycle, you know? It's like a grown-up telling you not to do something when you're a teen but you do it anyways because you need the experience instead of words. I'll post on here when I have children (10 years from now?)

Did you try showing her the popular songs like Fear of the dark and/or The Trooper? The answer will probably be yes but just asking

Did you try showing her the popular songs like Fear of the dark and/or The Trooper? The answer will probably be yes but just asking

Those two, "The Number of the Beast," "Two Minutes to Midnight," "Aces High," "Rime of the Ancient Mariner," "Run to the Hills," and I even thought I'd inject a sense of twisted irony by playing "Bring your Daughter to the Slaughter" (I didn't bother to explain the lyrics :yow:).

Plus, I took her to a Maidens show at Slidebar last year, just to see if she might take to it. Here is an essay I wrote on it back in April of '16 chronicling the event.

Her aggregate response so far? "Dad, all heavy metal sounds the same to me. Loud."

I mean, if I wanted that opinion, I'd have asked my parents instead. Sheesh!

Last edited:
Well maybe her ears arent developed enough or used to pick up on all the sounds
Maybe show her some rock first (Deep Purple/ACDC) and then show her metal

Last edited:
Maybe show her some rock first (Deep Purple/ACDC) and then show her metal

Seems lightening the intensity of the music helps a bit. About the hardest stuff she's found agreeable is Alice Cooper: I caught her in the back seat of the car air-guitaring to "School's Out" when it was on the radio. AC/DC is a good idea; I'll give them a try.

Just watched the video. I always get a kick out of them. The 9 yo girl in the vid Sydney almost always ends up liking the music. And she seems to have great lines and reactions. Her comments about the drumming in the songs made me laugh my ass off.